Blue Raiders Roll With 4-0 VictoryApril 19, 2002 · MT Media Relations
Middle Tennessee advances to an 8 a.m. match Saturday against Louisiana-Lafayette, a 4-3 winner over New Mexico State.
The Blue Raiders got off to a good start with doubles wins at the top two positions from the two ranked pairings. The 30th-ranked duo of Oliver Foreman and Robert Gustafsson won 8-2 at No. 1 over Magnus Ranfelt and Urban Ljubic, while 43rd-rated Daniel Klemetz and Kirk Jackson defeated Trevr Young and Jay Patel, 8-2, at the No. 2 position to give Middle Tennessee the doubles point.
In singles, freshman Greg Pollack won 6-1, 6-2 at No. 6 over DU's Young. Gustafsson, ranked 116th in the nation, then defeated Ljubic, 6-2, 6-1, at No. 2 for the third point of the match for the Blue Raiders.
Junior and 15th-ranked Daniel Klemetz clinched the match, winning 6-2, 6-0 at No. 1 over Ramfelt, his 28th singles win of the season.
In the unfinished matches, Michael Staniak led 6-4, 3-2 at No. 4 against Hans Peter Gaber, while Jackson was leading 4-6, 6-0, 3-0 over Jason Tan at No. 5. Foreman lost the first set, 6-4, but led 4-2 in the second when his match was stopped at No. 3.
The win was the second straight for the Blue Raiders over the Pioneers. Middle Tennessee defeated DU, 4-1, in the first round of last year's conference tournament, also in Mobile.
#41 MIDDLE TENNESSEE 4, DENVER 0
1. (15) Daniel Klemetz (MT) def. Magnus Ramfelt (DU), 6-2, 6-0
2. (116) Robert Gustafsson (MT) def. Urban Ljubic (DU), 6-2, 6-1
3. Oliver Foreman (MT) vs. Jay Patel (DU), DNF
4. Michael Staniak (MT) vs. Hans Peter Gaber (DU), DNF
5. Kirk Jackson (MT) vs. Jason Tan (DU), DNF
6. Greg Pollack (MT) def. Trevor Young (DU), 6-1, 6-2
1. (30) Foreman-Gustafsson (MT) def. Ramfelt-Ljubic (DU), 8-2
2. (43) Klemetz-Jackson (MT) def. Young-Patel (DU), 8-2
3. Rishan Kuruppu-Pollack (MT) vs. Gaber-Lachlan Menzies (DU), DNF
Follow the Blue Raiders on Twitter @MTAthletics for continued updates.
More Men's Tennis NewsMar 2, 2014: MT Men's Tennis downed by No. 20 Columbia
Feb 28, 2014: Men's Tennis falls to Cornell, 4-3
Feb 28, 2014: Men's Tennis travels to New York for two matches
Feb 16, 2014: MT Men's Tennis splits Sunday matches
Feb 15, 2014: MT defeated by VCU, 5-2
Feb 14, 2014: Construction continues on site of indoor tennis center