Klemetz Earns No. 8 Seed for All-AmericanSeptember 26, 2002 · MT Media Relations
Headlining this year's seeds are Kentucky's Jesse Witten, the top seed in singles, and Stanford's Scott Lipsky and David Martin, the No. 1 seeds in doubles. Witten reached the NCAA singles final last May as a freshman, and Lipsky and Martin also reached the NCAA doubles final. Last fall Witten was a quarterfinalist at the Icy Hot/ITA All-American and the Stanford duo reached the final. The top 16 seeds in singles are ranked among the top 19 in the preseason Omni Hotels Collegiate Tennis Rankings. Five of the top 16 seeds are from the Pac-10 and four are from the Southeastern Conference.
Klemetz won the prestigious ITA/Arthur Ashe Award for Leadership and Sportsmanship last season and also earned ITA All-American honors while finishing at No. 16 in the final Omni Hotels/ITA national singles rankings. The Vanersborg, Sweden, native reached the third round of last year's Icy Hot/ITA All-American.
The Blue Raiders play this weekend at the Charles Fluitt Invitational in Lexington, Ky. Klemetz will take on 65th-ranked Evan Austin and top-ranked Jesse Witten in the ranked flight on Friday. Teammates Trevor Short, Brandon Allan, Greg Pollack and Rishan Kuruppu will all compete in Flight A of the tournament.
The Icy Hot/ITA Men's All-American Championship is not only the largest single tournament of this season in collegiate tennis, with over 350 competitors (including the qualifying tournaments), but is also the first of three national championship events at the Division I level during the 2002-03 collegiate tennis season (followed by the Omni Hotels/ITA National Intercollegiate Indoor Championships in November and the season-ending NCAA Championships in May). Chattanooga pharmaceutical firm, Chattem, Inc., selected Icy Hot as the title sponsor.
The Icy Hot/ITA Men's All-American Championships feature 256-singles player and 128-doubles team prequalifying tournaments played October 4-7, which feed into 64-player and 32-doubles team qualifying tournaments October 8-9. The 64-player, 32-doubles team main draw takes place Oct. 10-13.
To follow are the seeds for the October 10-13 main draw (prequalifying and qualifying take place Oct. 4-9); current Omni Hotels national ranking in parenthesis:
1. Jesse Witten, Kentucky (1)
2. Tobias Clemens, UCLA (2)
3. Benjamin Becker, Baylor (5)
4. Amer Delic, Illinois (6)
5. Phillip King, Duke (7)
6. Oliver Maiberger, San Diego State (8)
7. Bobby Reynolds, Vanderbilt (9)
8. Daniel Klemetz, Middle Tennessee (10)
9. David Martin, Stanford (11)
10. Marcin Matkowski, UCLA (12)
11. Todd Widom, Miami (Fla.) (13)
12. Jean Simon, Texas (14)
13. Alex Vlaski, Washington (15)
14. Rodrigo Grilli, UCLA (16)
15. Rameez Junaid, Auburn (18)
16. Alex Hartman, Mississippi (19)
1. Scott Lipsky/David Martin, Stanford (2)
2. Oliver Maiberger/Ryan Redondo, San Diego State (3)
3. Michael Calkins/Amer Delic, Illinois (4)
4. Nic Boeker/Bo Hodge, Georgia (6)
5. Jean Simon/Jose Zarhi, Texas (7)
6. Phillip King/Michael Yani, Duke (11)
7. Robert Kowalczyk/Balazs Veress, California (12)
8. Thomas Haug/Avery Ticer, Minnesota (13)
Follow the Blue Raiders on Twitter @MTAthletics for continued updates.
More Men's Tennis NewsJul 11, 2014: MT Men's Tennis recognized by ITA for academics
Jul 8, 2014: Raiders add three to Men's Tennis squad
Jun 12, 2014: Men's Tennis' recruiting class ranked 24th among mid-majors
Jun 6, 2014: MT's Zito tabbed 95th in final ITA rankings
Jun 2, 2014: Borendame partners with Buddy Up Tennis
May 5, 2014: Borendame & SAAC host dodgeball tournament