Blue Raiders Lose at LouisvilleJanuary 24, 2003 · MT Media Relations
Louisville Media Relations
LOUISVILLE, Ky. - The 46th-ranked Louisville men's tennis team defeated No. 37 Middle Tennessee, 5-2, Friday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center.
The Cardinals took the doubles point to begin the match as Cody Conley and Octavian Nicodim, No. 22 in the ITA rankings, defeated Michael Staniak and Rishan Kuruppu 8-2 at the top seed. Louisville's Paulo Carvalho and Jake Kirts teamed to beat Trevor Short and Brandon Allan 8-5 at No. 3. Middle Tennessee's Kirk Jackson and Greg Pollack defeated U of L's Matt Mayer and Jakub Gustafsson 8-3 at the two-spot.
In singles, Conley defeated Short 6-1, 6-2 at No. 2 to give Louisville a 2-0 lead in the match. Jackson, No. 92 in the ITA singles rankings, edged Carvalho 7-5, 6-4 at the top seed to pull the Blue Raiders within one. Mayer defeated Anant Sitaram 6-2, 6-2 at No. 4 to give the Cards a 3-1 lead. Middle Tennessee's Allan outlasted Jhonny Berrido 6-4, 7-5 at the six-seed to make the match score 3-2. Nicodim clinched the match with a 7-5, 6-3 win over Pollack at No. 3. Harry Walsh added Louisville's final singles point by defeating Kuruppu 7-5, 6-3 at the five-spot.
The Blue Raiders continue their season-opening road trip with an 11 a.m. match at Indiana on Sunday. Middle Tennessee opens its home schedule next Friday against Charleston Southern at the Racquet Club in Murfreesboro.
#46 LOUISVILLE 5, #37 MIDDLE TENNESSEE 2
1. (92) Kirk Jackson (MT) def. Paulo Carvalho (UL), 6-4, 6-4
2. Cody Conley (UL) def. Trevor Short (MT), 6-1, 6-2
3. Octavian Nicodim (UL) def. Greg Pollack (MT), 7-5, 6-3
4. Matt Mayer (UL) def. Anant Sitaram (MT), 6-2, 6-3
5. Harry Walsh (UL) def. Rishan Kuruppu (MT), 7-5, 6-3
6. Brandon Allan (MT) def. Jhonny Berrido (UL), 6-3, 7-5
1. (22) Cody Conley-Octavian Nicodim (UL) def. Michael Staniak-Rishan Kuruppu (MT), 8-2
2. Kirk Jackson-Greg Pollack (MT) def. Matt Mayer-Jakob Gustafson (UL), 8-3
3. Paulo Carvalho-Jake Kirts (UL) def. Brandon Allan-Trevor Short (MT), 8-5
Follow the Blue Raiders on Twitter @MTAthletics for continued updates.
More Men's Tennis NewsDec 3, 2013: Blue Raiders add Hoang for spring 2014 season
Nov 3, 2013: Blue Raiders wrap up play at Louisville Invitational
Nov 2, 2013: Raiders continue play at Louisville Invitational
Nov 1, 2013: Blue Raiders take part in first day of Louisville Invitational
Oct 28, 2013: Ground broken on new indoor tennis facility
Oct 25, 2013: Tennis teams to host free clinic Saturday for Murfreesboro kids