Men's Tennis Loses 6-1 at No. 5 Ole MissFebruary 16, 2003 · MT Media Relations
MURFREESBORO, Tenn. - The fifth-ranked Ole Miss Rebels won the doubles point and three straight singles match to take a 6-1 win over No. 51 Middle Tennessee Sunday in Oxford, Miss., at the Gillom Sports Center.
The Rebels opened by winning all three doubles matches, as Catalin Gard and Paul Ciorascu defeated Michael Staniak and Rishan Kuruppu, 8-2, at No. 2 to start. The 40th-ranked Rebel duo of Alex Hartman and Claes Lindholm won 8-2 over 10th-rated Daniel Klemetz and Kirk Jackson at No. 1 to secure the doubles point. Patrick Chucri and Karim Alayli dropped Brandon Allan and Greg Pollack, 8-6, in a hard-fought match at No. 3.
The Rebels then got three consecutive straight-set wins to take the match with the other three matches not completed.
The 34th-ranked Gard defeated No. 92 Jackson, 6-3, 6-2, at No. 2 before No. 18 Ciorascu defeated Pollack, 7-5, 6-4, at No. 3. No. 24 Hartman secured the match with a 6-4, 6-1, over third-ranked Klemetz at No. 1.
The 108th-ranked Lindholm took care of Staniak, 6-0, 6-2, at No. 4 and Alayli defeated Anant Sitaram, 6-4, 3-6, 10-8 in a supertiebreaker. The Blue Raiders' only win of the match came at No. 5 where Kuruppu won 4-6, 6-3, 10-6 over Chucri in a supertiebreaker.
The Blue Raiders host 14th-ranked Alabama this Wednesday at the Racquet Club before a trip to 29th-ranked Mississippi State next Sunday.
#5 OLE MISS 6, #51 MIDDLE TENNESSEE 1 SINGLES
1. (24) Alex Hartman (UM) def. (3) Daniel Klemetz (MT), 6-4, 6-1
2. (34) Catalin Gard (UM) def. (92) Kirk Jackson (MT), 6-3, 6-2
3. (18) Paul Ciorascu (UM) def. Greg Pollack (MT), 7-5, 6-4
4. (108) Claes Lindholm (UM) def. Michael Staniak (MT), 6-0, 6-2
5. Patrick Chucri (UM) def. Rishan Kuruppu (MT), 6-4, 3-6, 10-6
6. Anant Sitaram (MT) def. Karim Alayli (UM), 4-6, 6-3, 10-8
1. (40) Hartman-Lindholm (UM) def. (10) Jackson-Klemetz (MT), 8-2
2. Gard-Ciorascu (UM) def. Staniak-Kuruppu (MT), 8-2
3. Chucri-Alayli (UM) def. Brandon Allan-Pollack (MT), 8-6
Friend of the Blue Raiders? Like us on Facebook and become part of the True Blue army today.
More Men's Tennis NewsDec 3, 2013: Blue Raiders add Hoang for spring 2014 season
Nov 3, 2013: Blue Raiders wrap up play at Louisville Invitational
Nov 2, 2013: Raiders continue play at Louisville Invitational
Nov 1, 2013: Blue Raiders take part in first day of Louisville Invitational
Oct 28, 2013: Ground broken on new indoor tennis facility
Oct 25, 2013: Tennis teams to host free clinic Saturday for Murfreesboro kids