Men's Tennis Falls to RiceMarch 15, 2003 · MT Media Relations
MURFREESBORO, Tenn. - Thirty-fourth ranked Rice won the doubles point and got singles wins from three ranked players to defeat 60th-ranked Middle Tennessee, 4-0, Saturday morning during play at the Blue-Gray National Tennis Classic in Montgomery, Ala.
The Owls won the doubles point to start the match behind the play of their top-ranked tandem, brothers Richard and William Barker. The Barkers defeated Daniel Klemetz and Brandon Allan, 8-3, at No. 1.
Rice's Konstantin Hearle and Robert Searle took care of Kirk Jackson and Anant Sitaram, 9-7, at No. 2 to give the Owls the point. Middle Tennessee's Trevor Short and Michael Staniak won 8-5 at No. 3 over Cody Jackson and Vuk Rajevac.
In singles 22nd-ranked Searle won 6-2, 6-1, at No. 2 over Greg Pollack, and 30th-rated Richard Barker defeated No. 12 Klemetz, 6-2, 6-3, at No. 1. The final point of the match came at No. 4, where No. 123 Hearle won 6-3, 7-6 (3) over Staniak.
The Blue Raiders were to take on Brown University Saturday night at 6 p.m. in Montgomery.
Middle Tennessee returns home March 21 to face Georgia State at 2 p.m. at the Buck Bouldin Tennis Center.
#34 RICE 4, #60 MIDDLE TENNESSEE 0
1. (30) Richard Barker (RU) def. (12) Daniel Klemetz (MT), 6-2, 6-3
2. (22) Robert Searle (RU) def. Greg Pollack (MT), 6-2, 6-1
3. Kirk Jackson (MT) vs. (49) William Barker (RU), DNF
4. (123) Konstantin Haerle (RU) def. Michael Staniak (MT), 6-3, 7-6 (3)
5. Anant Sitaram (MT) vs. Cody Jackson (RU), DNF
6. Rishan Kuruppu (MT) vs. Vuk Rajevac (RU)
1. Barker-Barker (RU) def. Klemetz-Brandon Allan (MT), 8-3
2. Haerle-Searle (RU) def. Jackson-Sitaram (MT), 9-73. Trevor Short (MT) def. Jackson-Rajevac (RU), 8-5
Follow the Blue Raiders on Twitter @MTAthletics for continued updates.
More Men's Tennis NewsMar 9, 2014: Raiders drop Murray State, fall to Memphis
Mar 9, 2014: Raiders host Memphis & Murray State
Mar 7, 2014: MT Men's Tennis downs Jackson State, 7-0
Mar 2, 2014: MT Men's Tennis downed by No. 20 Columbia
Feb 28, 2014: Men's Tennis falls to Cornell, 4-3
Feb 28, 2014: Men's Tennis travels to New York for two matches