Blue Raiders Defeat GSU, 4-3March 22, 2003 · MT Media Relations
MURFREESBORO, Tenn. - The 61st-ranked Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders won the doubles point and three of the first four singles matches completed en route to a 4-3 victory over Georgia State Friday afternoon at the Buck Bouldin Tennis Center.
Georgia State won the first singles match completed, taking an 8-5 decision at No. 2, as Matias Ormazza and Albano Franco defeated Kirk Jackson and Anant Sitaram. But the Blue Raiders bounced back to win the final two doubles matches. Trevor Short and Michael Staniak took care of Nicolas Lupica and Chris Magnone at No. 3, 8-4, and Daniel Klemetz and Brandon Allan won 8-5 at No. 1 over Luka Bernard and Miha Lisac.
Middle Tennessee won three of the first four singles matches completed, with Jackson taking a 6-2, 7-6 (5) decision over Frfanco at No. 2, and Sitaram winning 6-0, 6-3 over Lupica at No. 5. Trevor Short also won for the Blue Raiders at No. 6, taking a 4-6, 6-2, 6-2 decision over Magnone.
Georgia State won three singles matches, but the final two after the match was already decided.
Lisac defeated Staniak, 6-2, 6-4, at No. 4, while Bernard took care of Rishan Kuruppu, 6-3, 3-6, 6-2, at No. 4. Ormazza outlasted 12th-ranked Klemetz, 7-5, 0-6, 7-6 (3) at No. 1.
The Blue Raiders take to the road to face Memphis Sunday at noon and play next weekend at South Alabama and Tulane. Middle Tennessee's final home match of the year will be April 9 against Vanderbilt.
#61 MIDDLE TENNESSEE 4, GEORGIA STATE 3
1. Matias Ormazza (GSU) def. (12) Daniel Klemetz (MT), 7-5, 0-6, 7-6 (3)
2. Kirk Jackson (MT) def. Albano Franco (GSU), 6-2, 7-6
3. Miha Lisac (GSU) def. Michael Staniak (MT), 6-2, 6-4
4. Luka Bernard (GSU) def. Rishan Kuruppu (MT), 6-3, 3-6, 6-2
5. Anant Sitaram (MT) def. Nicolas Lupica (GSU), 6-0, 6-3
6. Trevor Short (MT) def. Chris Magnone (GSU), 4-6, 6-2, 6-2
1. Brandon Allan-Klemetz (MT) def. Bernard-Lisac (GSU), 8-5
2. Ormazza-Franco (GSU) def. Jackson-Sitaram (MT), 8-5
3. Staniak-Short (MT) def. Lupica-Magnone (GSU), 8-4
Friend of the Blue Raiders? Like us on Facebook and become part of the True Blue army today.
More Men's Tennis NewsApr 20, 2013: Blue Raiders drop heartbreaker in SBC Championships
Apr 19, 2013: No. 1 seed Blue Raiders clinch berth in championship
Apr 18, 2013: No. 1 seed Blue Raiders face No. 4 seed Louisiana in SBC semifinal bout
Apr 17, 2013: Five Blue Raiders earn All-Sun Belt awards
Apr 16, 2013: Men's Tennis looks for three-peat at Sun Belt Championships
Apr 15, 2013: Zito named Athlete of the Week