Blue Raiders Fall, 4-3March 27, 2003 · MT Media Relations
MURFREESBORO, Tenn. - Middle Tennessee held a 3-2 edge but could not hold it in falling 4-3 to 53rd-ranked South Alabama Thursday afternoon in Mobile, Ala., at the Bruce David Lubel Memorial Tennis Courts.
Middle Tennessee (5-12) jumped out to a 1-0 lead, winning the doubles point with victories at No. 2 and No. 3 doubles. Trevor Short and Michael Staniak defeated Aurelio Di Zazzo and David Nylen, 8-3, at No. 3, while Kirk Jackson and Anant Sitaram took an 8-6 decision over Pavel Mazaev and Jorgen Vestli at No. 2. The Blue Raiders' Daniel Klemetz and Brandon Allan also led at No. 1 when their match was stopped.
Middle Tennessee's Sitaram won 6-4, 6-3, at No. 5 to give the Blue Raiders a 2-0 edge. But wins by USA's Clinton Jacobs at No. 2 and Mazaev at No. 6 singles squared the match at two.
Michael Staniak posted a 6-3, 6-4, win at No. 3 over DiZazzo to give the Blue Raiders a 3-2 lead.
With the Jaguars facing match point, Heyl upset #11 Daniel Klemetz 7-5, 7-6, at No. 1 to even the match once more. Vestli then followed with the winning point, downing Allan at No. 4, 7-6, 3-6, 7-6.
The Blue Raiders continue their current road swing in New Orleans Saturday, facing 27th-ranked Tulane.
#53 South Alabama 4, Middle Tennessee 3
1. Heinrich Heyl (USA) def. #11 Daniel Klemetz (MT), 7-5, 7-6
2. Clinton Jacobs (USA) def. Kirk Jackson (MT), 6-3, 6-1
3. Michael Staniak (MT) def. Aurelio Di Zazzo (USA), 6-3, 6-4
4. Jorgen Vestli (USA) def. Brandon Allan (MT), 7-6, 3-6, 7-6
5. Anant Sitaram (MT) def. David Nylen (USA), 6-4, 6-3
6. Pavel Mazaev (USA) def. Trevor Short (MT), 6-1, 6-3
1. Heyl-Jacobs (USA) def. Klemetz-Allan (MT), DNF
2. Jackson-Sitaram (MT) def. Mazaev-Vestli (USA) 8-6
3. Short-Staniak (MT) def. Di Zazzo-Nylen (USA) 8-3
Follow the Blue Raiders on Twitter @MTAthletics for continued updates.
More Men's Tennis NewsMar 9, 2014: Raiders drop Murray State, fall to Memphis
Mar 9, 2014: Raiders host Memphis & Murray State
Mar 7, 2014: MT Men's Tennis downs Jackson State, 7-0
Mar 2, 2014: MT Men's Tennis downed by No. 20 Columbia
Feb 28, 2014: Men's Tennis falls to Cornell, 4-3
Feb 28, 2014: Men's Tennis travels to New York for two matches