Men's Tennis Falls at TulaneMarch 29, 2003 · MT Media Relations
MURFREESBORO, Tenn. - The 27th-ranked Tulane men's tennis team won its 20th consecutive home match with a 4-0 defeat of Middle Tennessee on Saturday afternoon at Goldring Tennis Stadium.
The Green Wave (13-5) earned the doubles point and then won three singles matches to clinch the match victory. The remaining matches were not finished as the Green Wave women's tennis team had a match scheduled as well.
In doubles action, sixth-ranked Michael Kogan and Victor Romero defeated Daniel Klemetz and Brandon Allan, 8-2, at No. 1, while Goran Vasiljevic and Dmitriy Koch gave the Green Wave the doubles point with a 9-8 (5) victory over Kirk Jackson and Anant Sitaram at No. 2. Middle Tennessee's Trevor Short and Michael Staniak won 8-4 at No. 3 over Mattias Westerberg and Jorge Lievano.
Romero and Koch both won 6-2, 6-2, decisions to put the Wave on top, 3-0, and then Hannu Piiroinen upended Sitaram, 6-1, 6-4, to wrap up the victory.
The Blue Raiders (5-13) will travel to Atlanta, Ga., April 6 to face Georgia Tech before hosting Vanderbilt April 9 in the final home match of the year at the Buck Bouldin Tennis Center.
#27 TULANE 4, MIDDLE TENNESSEE 0
1. (23) Michael Kogan (TU) vs. (11) Daniel Klemetz (MT), DNF
2. Victor Romero (TU) def. Kirk Jackson (MT), 6-2, 6-2
3. Dmitriy Koch (TU) def. Michael Staniak (MT), 6-2, 6-2
4. Jorge Lievano (TU) vs. Rishan Kuruppu (MT), DNF
5. Mattias Westerberg (TU) vs. Brandon Allan (MT), DNF
6. Hannu Piiroinen (TU) def. Anant Sitaram (MT), 6-1, 6-4
1. (6) Kogan-Romero (TU) def. Klemetz-Allan (MT), 8-2
2. Goran Vasiljevic-Koch (TU) def. Jackson-Sitaram (MT), 9-8 (5)
3. Trevor Short-Staniak (MT) def. Westerberg-Lievano (TU), 8-4
Follow the Blue Raiders on Twitter @MTAthletics for continued updates.
More Men's Tennis NewsMar 9, 2014: Raiders drop Murray State, fall to Memphis
Mar 9, 2014: Raiders host Memphis & Murray State
Mar 7, 2014: MT Men's Tennis downs Jackson State, 7-0
Mar 2, 2014: MT Men's Tennis downed by No. 20 Columbia
Feb 28, 2014: Men's Tennis falls to Cornell, 4-3
Feb 28, 2014: Men's Tennis travels to New York for two matches