Tennis Falls at Georgia TechApril 6, 2003 · MT Media Relations
MURFREESBORO, Tenn. - Middle Tennessee dropped a 4-3 decision to 23rd-ranked Georgia Tech Sunday afternoon, as the homestanding Yellowjackets won four of the six singles matches after the Blue Raiders won the doubles point.
Middle Tennessee took an early lead by winning with doubles point, taking matches at Nos. 2 and 3.
Kirk Jackson and Anant Sitaram defeated Joao Menano and Marko Rajevac, 8-6, at No. 2, before Trevor Short and Michael Staniak gave the Blue Raiders the point with a 9-8 (5) victory over West Nott and Trevor McLeod. Daniel Klemetz and Brandon Allan lost 8-3 to the 19th-ranked tandem of Roger Anderson and Scott Schnugg.
In singles, 12th-ranked Klemetz won the opening set against No. 26 Anderson, 7-6 (2), but after a short rain delay, Anderson won 12 of the final games of the match to take the three-set decision.
Georgia Tech also got wins at Nos. 2, 3 and 4 to take the victory.
No. 79 Schnugg won 6-1, 6-3, over Jackson at No. 2, while Menano defeated Greg Pollack at No. 3, 6-3, 7-6 (5). Nott gave the Yellowjackets the victory with a 7-5, 7-6 (3) triumph over Staniak at No. 4.
Rishan Kuruppu won 6-4, 6-3 at No. 5 over McLeod, while Sitaram defeated Rajevac, 6-4, 7-5, at No. 6.
The Blue Raiders play their final home match of the season Wednesday at 2 p.m. at the Buck Bouldin Tennis Center.
#23 GEORGIA TECH 4, MIDDLE TENNESSEE 3
1. (26) Roger Anderson (GT) def. (12) Daniel Klemetz (MT), 6-7 (2), 6-1, 6-1
2. (79) Scott Schnugg (GT) def. Kirk Jackson (MT), 6-1, 6-3
3. Joao Menano (GT) def. Greg Pollack (MT), 6-3, 7-6 (5)
4. West Nott (GT) def. Michael Staniak (MT), 7-5, 7-6 (3)
5. Rishan Kuruppu (MT) def. Trevor McLeod (GT), 6-4, 6-3
6. Anant Sitaram (MT) def. Marko Rajevac (GT), 6-4, 7-5
1. (19) Anderson-Schnugg (GT) def. Klemetz-Brandon Allan (MT), 8-3
2. Jackson-Sitaram (MT) def. Menano-Rajevac (GT), 8-6
3. Trevor Short-Staniak (MT) def. Nott-McLeod (GT), 9-8 (5)
Follow the Blue Raiders on Twitter @MTAthletics for continued updates.
More Men's Tennis NewsJul 11, 2014: MT Men's Tennis recognized by ITA for academics
Jul 8, 2014: Raiders add three to Men's Tennis squad
Jun 12, 2014: Men's Tennis' recruiting class ranked 24th among mid-majors
Jun 6, 2014: MT's Zito tabbed 95th in final ITA rankings
Jun 2, 2014: Borendame partners with Buddy Up Tennis
May 5, 2014: Borendame & SAAC host dodgeball tournament