Men's Tennis Falls Again, 4-2
Squad wins doubles point but falls in singlesMarch 24, 2007 · MT Media Relations
Middle Tennessee (9-10) lost four of the five completed singles matches after picking up the first point of the match in doubles. The top three players in the order all lost in straight sets, and the deciding point came at No. 5.
The Blue Raiders got off to a good start with doubles victories at Nos. 1 and 2.
Oklahoma's Ryan Thomas and Marek Velicka defeated Marc Boiron and Joao Paoliello at No. 3, 8-1, but the fourth-ranked Blue Raider duo of Marco Born and Andreas Siljestrom won 8-4 at No. 1 over Andrei Daescu and Vaclav Kucera.
The Sooners (14-2) rebounded in singles, though, taking the first three completed singles matches.
At No. 1, 88th-ranked Kucera defeated 69th-ranked Siljestrom, 7-6, 6-3, before Velicka won 6-4, 7-6, over 113th-ranked Born at No. 3. Oklahoma took a 3-1 lead, as 78th-ranked Daescu took care of Rocafort, 6-2, 6-3, at No. 2.
The Blue Raiders got within 3-2 with a win at No. 4, as Richard posted a 6-4, 6-4, triumph over McKenzie, but Chavarria gave the Sooners the team victory with a 6-1, 6-0, win over Alex McCann at No. 5.
"We're really struggling right now. We can very close but can't seem to close the deal," head coach Dale Short said. "We played well in doubles but then not as well in singles. Our confidence is really low, but we've got another opportunity on Sunday against a very good team."
Middle Tennessee plays its final match of the tournament Sunday against the 24th-ranked Rice Owls at 9 a.m.
#52 Oklahoma 4, #39 Middle Tennessee 2
1. (83) Vaclav Kucera (OU) def. (69) Andreas Siljestrom (MT), 7-6, 6-3
2. (78) Andrei Daescu (OU) def. Marc Rocafort (MT), 6-2, 6-3
3. Marek Velicka (OU) def. (113) Marco Born (MT), 6-4, 7-6
4. Morgan Richard (MT) def. Rob McKenzie (OU), 6-4, 6-4
5. Federico Chavarria (OU) def. Alex McCann (MT), 6-1, 6-0
6. Joao Paoliello (MT) vs. Sergey Avdeyev (OU), 1-6, 3-2, unfinished
Order of Finish: 1,3,2,4,5*
1. (4) Born-Siljestrom (MT) def. Daescu-Kucera (OU), 8-4
2. Richard-Rocafort (MT) def. Chavarria-McKenzie (OU), 8-6
3. Ryan Thomas-Velicka (OU) def. Marc Boiron-Paoliello (MT), 8-1
Order of Finish: 3,1,2*
Follow the Blue Raiders on Twitter @MTAthletics for continued updates.
More Men's Tennis NewsDec 3, 2013: Blue Raiders add Hoang for spring 2014 season
Nov 3, 2013: Blue Raiders wrap up play at Louisville Invitational
Nov 2, 2013: Raiders continue play at Louisville Invitational
Nov 1, 2013: Blue Raiders take part in first day of Louisville Invitational
Oct 28, 2013: Ground broken on new indoor tennis facility
Oct 25, 2013: Tennis teams to host free clinic Saturday for Murfreesboro kids