Raiders Drop 4-3 Decision
Sufi, Yusupova both win in singles, all three doubles teams claim victoriesMarch 30, 2007 · MT Media Relations
Middle Tennessee (4-11) won all three doubles matches and the first two singles outings, with Hala Sufi and Elvira Yusupova claiming victories to give the squad a 3-0 lead. But the Blazers won the final four singles outings, including the deciding point in three sets.
In doubles, Ann-Kristin Siljestrom and Stephanie Parkison defeated Gulsah Esen and Nischa Maier-Knapp, 8-5, at No. 2 before Sufi and Claudia Szabo won 8-6 over Annemieke Elsholz and Julia von Samson at No. 1 to claim the doubles point. At No. 3 Pooja Kommireddi and Marlene Chemin posted a 9-7 triumph against Magdalena Czernik and Antonia Nugent.
Sufi, ranked 72nd in singles, defeated Maier-Knapp, 6-1, 6-2, at No. 1 and Elvira Yusupova won 6-1, 6-1, over Elsholz at No. 5, to give Middle Tennessee a 3-0 edge in the match.
But Samrin Tanzeem started the Blazers (11-2) comeback, taking care of Parkison, 6-1, 6-2, at No. 6, and von Samson defeated Chemin, 6-3, 6-4, before Czernik won 6-4, 6-3, over Szabo at No. 4 to even the match at three.
The final point came from Eden, who outlasted Siljestrom, 6-3, 2-6, 6-2, at No. 2.
"This match was a little disappointing because we had some players who just didn't show up," head coach Alison Ojeda said. "Just like against [South Alabama], we had some good things and some bad things, but we've got to be more consistent up-and-down the lineup."
Middle Tennessee plays its final two home matches of the season next weekend, hosting Arkansas State and Troy.
UAB 4, Middle Tennessee 3
1. (72) Hala Sufi (MT) def. Nischa Maier-Knapp (UAB), 6-1, 6-2
2. Gulsah Eden (UAB) def. Ann-Kristin Siljestrom (UAB), 6-3, 2-6, 6-2
3. Julia von Samson (UAB) def. Marlene Chemin (MT), 6-3, 6-4
4. Magdalena Czernik (UAB) def. Claudia Szabo (MT), 6-4, 6-3
5. Elvira Yusupova (MT) def. Annemieke Elsholz (UAB), 6-1, 6-1
6. Samrin Tanzeem (UAB) def. Stephanie Parkison (MT), 6-1, 6-2
Order of Finish: 1,5,6,3,4,2*
1. Sufi-Szabo (MT) def. Elsholz-von Samson (MT), 8-6
2. Siljestrom-Parkison (MT) def. Esen-Maier-Knapp (UAB), 8-5
3. Pooja Kommireddi-Chemin (MT) def. Czernik-Antonia Nugent (UAB), 9-7
Order of Finish: 2,1*,3
Friend of the Blue Raiders? Like us on Facebook and become part of the True Blue army today.
More Women's Tennis NewsJul 17, 2014: Women's Tennis recognized for academic achievement
Apr 29, 2014: MT's William named C-USA Newcomer of the Year
Apr 18, 2014: MT falls short in upset bid of No. 19 Tulsa
Apr 17, 2014: MT advances to C-USA Quarterfinals with win over UTSA
Apr 16, 2014: Raiders knock off FAU to advance in C-USA Championship
Apr 15, 2014: Women's Tennis plays FAU in C-USA First Round