Raiders Win Final Match at SBC Tourney
Squad posts 4-3 victory over Louisiana-Lafayette to take third placeApril 23, 2007 · MT Media Relations
The Blue Raiders (15-12) jumped out early, winning the doubles point and Marc Rocafort picked up an easy win at No. 4 singles when Janusz Conradi retired after just three games. But the Ragin' Cajuns won the next three completed singles outings, including a three-setter at No. 2, to pull ahead.
Siljestrom reversed the trend from Saturday's semifinals when he lost in a third-set tiebreaker. The senior outlasted UL's Piotrek Banas in three sets, also in a tiebreaker, before Paoliello won his match in three sets for the deciding point in the victory.
Middle Tennessee started quickly with victories in the two completed doubles matches.
Rocafort picked up his singles point for a 2-0 Blue Raider lead before Louisiana-Lafayette strung together its three straight victories.
Ellison defeated Richard, 6-4, 6-1, at No. 3, Arlen Domoney won 6-3, 6-2, over Alex McCann at No. 6 and Dusan Tabak posted a 7-5, 1-6, 6-3, triumph over 113th-ranked Born at No. 2.
Siljestrom, ranked 78th nationally, came back with his victory over Banas, 4-6, 6-4, 7-6, before Paoliello won 7-5, 4-6, 6-3, at No. 5 over Delgado.
Middle Tennessee must wait anxiously for the Tuesday, May 1 announcement of the NCAA Team Championships field to see if its season will continue. Players selected for the NCAA Singles and Doubles Championships will be posted on the NCAA website after 5 p.m. CT on Wednesday, May 2.
#47 Middle Tennessee 4, Louisiana-Lafayette 3
1. (78) Andreas Siljestrom (MT) def. Piotrek Banas (UL), 4-6, 6-4, 7-6
2. Dusan Tabak (UL) def. (113) Marco Born (MT), 7-5, 1-6, 6-3
3. Shaun Ellison (UL) def. Morgan Richard (MT), 6-4, 6-1
4. Marc Rocafort (MT) def. Janusz Conradi (UL), 3-0, retired
5. Joao Pailiello (MT) def. Jorge Delgado (UL), 7-5, 4-6, 6-3
6. Arlen Domoney (UL) def. Alex McCann (MT), 6-3, 6-2
Order of Finish: 4,3,6,2,1,5
1. (11) Siljestrom-Born (MT) def. Ellison-Banas (UL), 8-5
2. Richard-Rocafort (MT) def. Delgado-Conradi (UL), 8-3
3. Marc Boiron-Pailiello (MT) led Tabak-Domoney (UL), 6-4, DNF
Order of Finish: 1,2*
Follow the Blue Raiders on Twitter @MTAthletics for continued updates.
More Men's Tennis NewsApr 14, 2014: MT earns first-round bye in C-USA Championship
Apr 13, 2014: MT downs No. 60 UCF, 4-3
Apr 11, 2014: MT defeated by No. 25 USF, 6-1
Apr 10, 2014: Raiders host USF, UCF to close out regular season
Apr 9, 2014: Middle Tennessee summer camp dates announced
Apr 8, 2014: Zito breaks into ITA singles rankings