Men's Tennis Drops Pair of Close OnesMarch 13, 2004 · MT Media Relations
In Friday morning's match against the Monarchs, the Blue Raiders (5-8) won the doubles point and led late in the third set in two other matches before dropping a 4-2 decision.
In doubles, Brandon Allan and Kai Schledorn defeated ODU's Izak van der Merwe and Niklas Oskarsson, 8-6, at No. 1, and Trevor Short and Kirk Jackson won 8-4 over Zoltan Csanadi and Herique Cancado at No. 2 to give Middle Tennessee the first point of the match.
The Monarchs came back to tie the match in singles, with Calin Milos defeating Short, 6-0, 6-3, at No. 3. Middle Tennessee's Brandon Allan won 6-4, 6-4, over Adriano Mello, at No. 6, giving the Blue Raiders a 2-1 lead.
The Blue Raiders dropped the final three completed matches in three sets after leading in all three.
At No. 1, the 18th-ranked van der Merwe won 6-0, 4-6, 7-5, over Andreas Siljestrom. Csanadi defeated Schledorn, 1-6, 6-3, 7-6 (4), at No. 2, and Cancado took care of Jackson at No. 4, 6-2, 3-6, 6-3.
On Saturday, the Blue Raiders did not win the doubles point, only the third time that has happened this season, but had a chance to come back and defeat William & Mary before falling again, 4-2.
In doubles, Allan and Schledorn defeated 38th-ranked Geoff Russell and Steve Kane, 8-4, at No. 1, but the Tribe's Sean Kelleher and Colin O'Brien won 8-5 over Jackson and Short at No. 2. The deciding match was at No. 3, where Jeff Kader and Alex Fish defeated Rishan Kuruppu and Siljestrom in a tiebreaker, 9-8 (5), giving William & Mary the doubles point.
Short won 6-4, 6-4, over Kane at No. 3, and Sitaram defeated O'Brien, 6-2, 6-3, at No. 6, to keep the Blue Raiders in the match, but losses at Nos. 1, 2 and 4 sealed the teams fate.
At No. 1, the 31st-ranked Kader took care of Siljestrom, 6-3, 7-6, while Kelleher defeated Schledorn, 6-2, 6-3, at No. 2. Russell took care of Jackson at No. 4, 6-4, 6-2.
Blue Raider head coach Dale Short came away with a lot of positives from the three matches over the weekend, but had just as many negatives in the three losses.
"We did a lot of good things and put ourselves in position to win all three matches," Short said. "Brandon and Kai are playing really well in doubles and we've played well as a whole at all three doubles spots.
"But right now we're not finding ways to win the close matches. We're folding under the pressure late in the match, and that's keeping us from beating teams that we are capable of beating."
Middle Tennessee plays its next three matches on the road, starting Wednesday with a 2 p.m. match at second-ranked Ole Miss in Oxford, Miss.
#67 OLD DOMINION 4, #57 MIDDLE TENNESSEE 2
1. (18) Izak van der Merwe (ODU) def. Andreas Siljestrom (MT), 6-0, 4-6, 7-5
2. Zoltan Csanadi (ODU) def. Kai Schledorn (MT), 1-6, 6-3, 7-6 (4)
3. Calin Milos (ODU) def. Trevor Short (MT), 6-0, 6-3
4. Herique Cancado (ODU) def. Kirk Jackson (MT), 6-2, 3-6, 6-3
5. Anant Sitaram (MT) vs. Niklas Oskarsson (ODU) - DNF
6. Brandon Allan (MT) def. Adriano Mello (ODU), 6-4, 6-4
1. Allan-Schledorn (MT) def. van der Merwe-Oskarsson (ODU), 8-6
2. Jackson-Short (MT) def. Csanadi-Cancado (ODU), 8-4
3. Rishan Kuruppu-Siljestrom (MT) vs. Calin Milos-Nate Grover (ODU) - DNF
#47 WILLIAM & MARY 4, #57 MIDDLE TENNESSEE 2
1. (31) Jeff Kader (WM) def. Andreas Siljestrom (MT), 6-3, 7-6
2. Sean Kelleher (WM) def. Kai Schledorn (MT), 6-2, 6-3
3. Trevor Short (MT) def. Steven Kane (WM), 6-4, 6-4
4. Geoff Russell (WM) def. Kirk Jackson (MT), 6-4, 6-2
5. Rishan Kuruppu (MT) vs. Alex Fish (WM) - DNF
6. Anant Sitaram (MT) def. Colin O'Brien (WM), 6-2, 6-3
1. Brandon Allan-Schledorn (MT) def. (38) Russell-Kane (WM), 8-4
2. Kelleher-O'Brien (WM) def. Jackson-Short (MT), 8-5
3. Kader-Fish (WM) def. Kuruppu-Siljestrom (MT), 9-8 (5)
Follow the Blue Raiders on Twitter @MTAthletics for continued updates.
More Men's Tennis NewsApr 20, 2013: Blue Raiders drop heartbreaker in SBC Championships
Apr 19, 2013: No. 1 seed Blue Raiders clinch berth in championship
Apr 18, 2013: No. 1 seed Blue Raiders face No. 4 seed Louisiana in SBC semifinal bout
Apr 17, 2013: Five Blue Raiders earn All-Sun Belt awards
Apr 16, 2013: Men's Tennis looks for three-peat at Sun Belt Championships
Apr 15, 2013: Zito named Athlete of the Week