Blue Raiders Lose Close Match
New Mexico Tops MT 4-3February 9, 2008 · MT Media Relations
The Lobos (2-3) took a 1-0 lead to begin the match as it took the doubles point. Sophomore Marc Rocafort and freshman Chris Nowak fell to Joe Wood and Graeme Kassautzki 8-2. Then junior Morgan Richard and freshman John Peers lost a close match to No. 48 Kamil Pajkowski 8-6.
"We came out flat in doubles. Hopefully it is showing these guys how important it is to win the doubles point and come out with energy," head coach David McNamara said. "I hope we come out with energy and with something to prove tomorrow. If we come out like we did for most of the singles matches we should have a positive result."
New Mexico increased its lead 2-0 as No. 35 Max Jones defeated Rocafort 6-0, 6-2. Peers won his match over Graeme Kassautzki 6-2, 6-3 to keep the Blue Raiders in the match, 2-1.
Nowak lost 6-4, 6-4 to Chris Parkes giving New Mexico a 3-1 lead in the match. Then the Lobos clinched the match as Johnny Parkes defeated Richard 6-1, 7-6 (7-3).
Cowden and Paoliello closed the gap for Middle Tennessee as each posted wins. Cowden defeated Pajkowski 6-4, 6-1 while Paoliello won his match over Joe Wood in a super tie-breaker 7-5, 7-6 (4-0), 13-11 .
Middle Tennessee will be back in action on Sunday, Feb. 10 at 2 p.m. when it faces No. 48 East Tennessee. Pizza and drinks will provided for those in attendance. Admission to the Racquet Club is free. Live stats will be available on www.goblueraiders.com.
1. #35 Max Jones (NEWMEX) def. Marc Rocafort (MT) 6-0, 6-2
2. Johnny Parkes (NEWMEX) def. Morgan Richard (MT) 6-1, 7-6 (7-3)
3. John Peers (MT) def. Graeme Kassautzki (NEWMEX) 6-2, 6-3
4. Chris Parkes (NEWMEX) def. Chris Nowak (MT) 6-4, 6-4
5. Richard Cowden (MT) def. Kamil Pajkowski (NEWMEX) 6-4, 6-1
6. Joao Paoliello (MT) def. Joe Wood (NEWMEX) 7-5, 6-7 (0-4), 13-11
1. #48 Kamil Pajkowski/Max Jones (NEWMEX) def. Richard/ Peers (MT) 8-6
2. Chris Parkes/Johnny Parkes (NEWMEX) def. Paoliello/ Cowden (MT) 8-7 (8-6)
3. Joe Wood/Graeme Kassautzki (NEWMEX) def. Nowak/ Rocafort (MT) 8-2
New Mexico 2-3; National ranking #55
Middle Tennessee 4-3; National ranking #50
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (1,3,4,2,5,6) T-5hrs 4m
Follow the Blue Raiders on Twitter @MTAthletics for continued updates.
More Men's Tennis NewsDec 3, 2013: Blue Raiders add Hoang for spring 2014 season
Nov 3, 2013: Blue Raiders wrap up play at Louisville Invitational
Nov 2, 2013: Raiders continue play at Louisville Invitational
Nov 1, 2013: Blue Raiders take part in first day of Louisville Invitational
Oct 28, 2013: Ground broken on new indoor tennis facility
Oct 25, 2013: Tennis teams to host free clinic Saturday for Murfreesboro kids