Herrera Breaks Tie for MT Win
Blue Raiders down Indians 4-3 on SundayFebruary 25, 2008 · MT Media Relations
With the match tied at 3 all, Herrera gave the Blue Raiders (5-8, 2-1 SBC) the win with her 7-6 (3), 7-5 win over the Indians' Emily Laing.
The Blue Raiders took the doubles point to begin the match as juniors Marlene Chemin and Elvira Yusupova defeated Rone Van Wyk and Renee Branker 8-3. Seniors Claudia Szabo and Ann-Kristin Siljestrom then clinched the point with their 8-0 victory over Maria Oprea and Paula Chelminska.
"We played great. It was a hard fought battle and the team that wanted it most was the team that was going to win. We knew it from the start. The only way you can work as hard as we do on a daily basis is if you really want it," head coach Alison Ojeda said. "We have had such a tough schedule and have all learned so much. I'm glad the girls got two conference wins under their belts."
In singles action, Middle Tennessee went down 2-1 as Siljestrom and Parkison lost at No. 1 and 2 respectively. Siljestrom fell to Oprea 3-6, 6-3, 6-3 while Parkison lost her match with Chelminska 6-3, 6-4.
Middle Tennessee rebounded winning the next two to take a 3-2 lead in the match. Yusupova defeated Van Wyk 5-7, 7-5, 6-3 in No. 3 singles. Then Chemin took the lead for Middle Tennessee as she won her match 6-4, 6-1 over Menna Kamal.
Szabo lost her match 6-3, 1-6, 6-3 to Branker which allowed the Indians to tie the match at 3. Middle Tennessee will be back in action on Friday, Feb. 29 when it travels to Wichita, Kan., to face Wichita State at 5 p.m.
1. Maria Oprea (ASU) def. A.K. Siljestrom (MT) 3-6, 6-2, 6-3
2. Paula Chelminska (ASU) def. Stephanie Parkison (MT) 6-3, 6-4
3. Elvira Yusupova (MT) def. Rone Van Wyk (ASU) 5-7, 7-5, 6-3
4. Marlene Chemin (MT) def. Menna Kamal (ASU) 6-4, 6-1
5. Renee Branker (ASU) def. Claudia Szabo (MT) 6-3, 1-6, 6-3
6. Andrea Herrera (MT) def. Emily Laing (ASU) 7-6 (3-0), 7-5
1. Marlene Chemin/Elvira Yusupova (MT) def. Rone Van Wyk/Renee Branker (ASU) 8-3
2. Claudia Szabo/A.K. Siljestrom (MT) def. Maria Oprea/Paula Chelminska (ASU) 8-0
3. Emily Laing/Tina Ojdanic (ASU) vs. Stephanie Parkison/Shannon Hartmann (MT) 2-7, unfinished
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (1,2,3,4,5,6)
Follow the Blue Raiders on Twitter @MTAthletics for continued updates.
More Women's Tennis NewsJul 17, 2014: Women's Tennis recognized for academic achievement
Apr 29, 2014: MT's William named C-USA Newcomer of the Year
Apr 18, 2014: MT falls short in upset bid of No. 19 Tulsa
Apr 17, 2014: MT advances to C-USA Quarterfinals with win over UTSA
Apr 16, 2014: Raiders knock off FAU to advance in C-USA Championship
Apr 15, 2014: Women's Tennis plays FAU in C-USA First Round