Blue Raiders' Rally Just Short in 4-2 Loss
Rocafort and Cowden each posted wins against IowaMarch 23, 2008 · MT Media Relations
Middle Tennessee lost the doubles point to begin the match as J.P. Ritchie and Reinoud Haal defeated freshmen John Peers and Richard Cowden 8-5. Then Christian Bierich and Greg Holm won their match 8-2 over freshman Chris Nowak and sophomore Joao Paoliello to clinch the point.
In singles action, Peers fell to Bart van Monsjou 6-4, 1-6, 6-2 in No. 1 singles while Richard lost his match 6-2, 6-4 to Bierich.
Rocafort started a rally as the Blue Raiders trailed 3-0 with his 6-2, 6-3 win over Ritchie. Cowden then won his match with Haal 6-2, 6-3 to close the gap and make it a 3-2 match.
Freshman Alex McCann rounded out play for the Blue Raiders as he fell to Holm 6-2, 6-3 as Iowa clinched the match.
Middle Tennessee will be back in action on Saturday, April 4-5 when plays host to the Sun Belt Shootout at the Buck Bouldin Tennis Center.
1. Bart van Monsjou (Iowa) def John Peers (MTSU) 6-4, 1-6, 6-2
2. Christian Bierich (Iowa) def. Morgan Richard (MTSU) 6-2, 6-4
3. Marc Rocafort (MTSU) def. J.P. Ritchie (Iowa) 6-2, 6-3
4. Richard Cowden (MTSU) def. Reinoud Haal (Iowa) 6-2, 6-3
5. Tommy McGeorge (Iowa) v. Joao Paoliello (MTSU) DNF
6. Greg Holm (Iowa) def. Alex McCann (MTSU) 6-2, 6-3
1. Ritchie/van Monsjou (Iowa) def. Peers/Cowden (MTSU) 8-5
2. Kauss /Haal (Iowa) def. Rocafort/Richard (MTSU) DNF
3. Bierich/Holm (Iowa) def. Nowak/Paoliello (MTSU) 8-2
Friend of the Blue Raiders? Like us on Facebook and become part of the True Blue army today.
More Men's Tennis NewsDec 3, 2013: Blue Raiders add Hoang for spring 2014 season
Nov 3, 2013: Blue Raiders wrap up play at Louisville Invitational
Nov 2, 2013: Raiders continue play at Louisville Invitational
Nov 1, 2013: Blue Raiders take part in first day of Louisville Invitational
Oct 28, 2013: Ground broken on new indoor tennis facility
Oct 25, 2013: Tennis teams to host free clinic Saturday for Murfreesboro kids