Blue Raiders Fall 4-1 to Jags
McCann posts only win; MT will play for third place on SundayApril 19, 2008 · MT Media Relations
The Blue Raiders lost the doubles point to begin the match. Freshmen John Peers and Alex McCann fell to Robert Hodel and Marek Sramek 8-1. Then the Jags clinched the point as Jack Baker and R.J. Nagel defeated junior Morgan Richard and sophomore Marc Rocafort 8-4.
In singles play, freshman Chris Nowak trailed Nagel 5-1 when he had to retire which allowed South Alabama to take a 2-0 lead in the match.
McCann defeated O'Brien making it 2-1 as he won in straight sets 6-1, 6-0.
This would be the only win for the Blue Raiders as Peers and Richard each lost their matches. Peers and Richard both lost 6-2, 6-2 to Hodel and Sramek respectively.
Middle Tennessee will play for third place in the Sun Belt Conference Championships as it faces the loser of Denver vs. FAU at 2 p.m. on Sunday, April 20 in the consolation match.
1. Jack Baker (USA) vs. Marc Rocafort (MT) 6-1, 3-6, unfinished
2. Robert Hodel (USA) def. John Peers (MT) 6-2, 6-2
3. Marek Sramek (USA) def. Morgan Richard (MT) 6-2, 6-2
4. R.J. Nagel (USA) def. Chris Nowak (MT) 5-1, retired
5. Aaron Krisan (USA) vs. Joao Paoliello (MT) 4-6, 2-3, unfinished
6. Alex McCann (MT) def. Michael O'Brien (USA) 6-1, 6-0
1. Jack Baker/R.J. Nagel (USA) def. Morgan Richard/Marc Rocafort (MT) 8-4
2. Robert Hodel/Marek Sramek (USA) def. John Peers/Alex McCann (MT) 8-1
3. Aaron Krisan/Michael O'Brien (USA) vs. Joao Paoliello/Kyle Wishing (MT) 3-6, unfinished
Middle Tennessee 9-13; National ranking #71
University of South Alabama 13-8; National ranking #60
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (4,6,2,3)
Friend of the Blue Raiders? Like us on Facebook and become part of the True Blue army today.
More Men's Tennis NewsMar 9, 2014: Raiders drop Murray State, fall to Memphis
Mar 9, 2014: Raiders host Memphis & Murray State
Mar 7, 2014: MT Men's Tennis downs Jackson State, 7-0
Mar 2, 2014: MT Men's Tennis downed by No. 20 Columbia
Feb 28, 2014: Men's Tennis falls to Cornell, 4-3
Feb 28, 2014: Men's Tennis travels to New York for two matches