Blue Raiders Drop 4-2 Decision at LouisvilleFebruary 4, 2005 · MT Media Relations
The match took more than four years and was a dogfight from start-to-finish, much like the affairs of the last three years between the two teams.
Louisville won the doubles point to take early control of the dual match. Middle Tennessee's 29th-ranked tandem of Brandon Allan and Kai Schledorn dropped a 9-8 decision to Jeremy Clark and Jakob Gustaffson at No. 1, but 58th-ranked Andreas Siljestrom and Marco Born defeated UL's Mark Kennedy and Jhonny Berrido, 8-5, at No. 2. The Cardinals gained the early point when Damar Johnson and Tony Teufel won 8-6 over Anant Sitaram and Greg Pollack at No. 3.
In singles the Blue Raiders started with wins at No. 3 and No. 5 singles, as Schledorn won 6-3, 6-2, over Nicolas Houard, and Allan defeated Jeremy Clark, 6-3, 7-6. Pollack dropped a 6-7, 3-6, decision to Berrido at No. 4, but it was the top two players who struggled for the Blue Raiders in the loss.
Siljestrom, ranked 68th in singles, lost 2-6, 2-6, to 124th-ranked Johnson at No. 1, while Born battled but could not overcome Gustaffson, 7-6, 6-7, 2-6, at No. 2. The match at No. 6 between Sitaram and Octavian Nicodim was tied at one set apiece.
Middle Tennessee continues the three-match road swing with a 5 p.m. CT start Friday at Indiana State.
#48 Louisville 4, #57 Middle Tennessee 2
1. Damar Johnson (UL) def. Andreas Siljestrom (MT), 6-3, 6-2
2. Jakob Gustaffson (UL) def. Marco Born (MT), 7-6, 6-2
3. Kai Schledorn (MT) def. Nicolas Houard (UL) 6-3, 6-2
4. Octavian Nicodim (UL) vs. Anant Sitaram (MT), DNF
5. Jhonny Berrido (UL) def. Greg Pollack (MT), 7-6, 6-3
6. Brandon Allan (MT) def. Jeremy Clark (UL), 6-3, 7-6
1. Clark-Gustaffson (UL) def. Schledorn-Allan (MT), 9-8
2. Siljestrom-Born (MT) def. Mark Kennedy-Berrido (UL), 8-5
3. Johnson-Teufel (UL) def. Sitaram-Pollack (MT), 8-6
Follow the Blue Raiders on Twitter @MTAthletics for continued updates.
More Men's Tennis NewsJul 11, 2014: MT Men's Tennis recognized by ITA for academics
Jul 8, 2014: Raiders add three to Men's Tennis squad
Jun 12, 2014: Men's Tennis' recruiting class ranked 24th among mid-majors
Jun 6, 2014: MT's Zito tabbed 95th in final ITA rankings
Jun 2, 2014: Borendame partners with Buddy Up Tennis
May 5, 2014: Borendame & SAAC host dodgeball tournament