Djananova clinches 4-3 win for Blue Raiders
Newcomers perform well in first team matchJanuary 30, 2009 · MT Athletic Communications
With the match tied 3-3, Djananova pulled out a three-set nailbiter over the Mocs' Annie Green 7-5, 3-6, 7-5.
"For the first match, we were really please with their effort. Five of the six singles players were playing their first collegiate match for MTSU," head coach Alison Ojeda said. "For Anna to win the match for us was great as she has overcome a lot from the fall. For this team to be so young and pull out a win like this it great and good start to the season."
Middle Tennessee began the match by losing the doubles point giving UTC a 1-0 advantage headed into singles play. Freshman Taylor Coffey and senior Marlene Chemin were the only pair to win their doubles match defeating Green and Brianna Wishing 8-4.
Freshman Alex Dachos fell to Beata Knizat 7-6 (9), 7-5 in No. 5 singles as the Mocs closed the gap 3-2. Then senior Andrea Herrera lost her match in three-sets 6-0, 6-7 (5), 4-6, to Shaina Singh, tying the match which set-up the dramatic finish by Djananova to bring home the win.
Middle Tennessee will be back in action on Sunday, Feb. 1 at 12 p.m. when it plays host to Tennessee Tech at Nashboro Village in Nashville, Tenn.
1. Shaina Singh (UTC) def. Andrea Herrera (MT) 0-6, 7-6 (7-5), 6-4
2. Marietta Bigus (MT) def. Emily Hangstefer (UTC) 6-2, 6-4
3. Natalie Araya (MT) def. J. van der Veek (UTC) 6-2, 6-2
4. Taylor Coffey (MT) def. Charlotte Bossy (UTC) 6-1, 6-4
5. Beata Knizat (UTC) def. Alex Dachos (MT) 7-6 (7-5), 7-5
6. Anna Djananova (MT) def. Annie Green (UTC) 7-5, 3-6, 7-5
1. Shaina Singh/Emily Hangstefer (UTC) def. Marietta Bigus/Anna Djananova (MT) 8-6
2. Taylor Coffey/Marlene Chemin (MT) def. Annie Green/Brianna Wishing (UTC) 8-4
3. Charlotte Bossy/J. van der Veek (UTC) def. Natalie Araya/Andrea Herrera (MT) 8-5
Middle Tennessee 1-0
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (4,3,2,5,1,6)
Follow the Blue Raiders on Twitter @MTAthletics for continued updates.
More Women's Tennis NewsApr 18, 2014: MT falls short in upset bid of No. 19 Tulsa
Apr 17, 2014: MT advances to C-USA Quarterfinals with win over UTSA
Apr 16, 2014: Raiders knock off FAU to advance in C-USA Championship
Apr 15, 2014: Women's Tennis plays FAU in C-USA First Round
Apr 14, 2014: Raiders take on FAU in First Round of C-USA Championship
Apr 13, 2014: Blue Raiders fall to No. 31 Tennessee