Blue Raiders fall to Northwestern
Newcomers perform well in matchFebruary 7, 2009 · MT Athletic Communications
Northwestern began the match winning the doubles point taking a 1-0 lead in the match. Senior Robert McKenzie and sophomore John Peers forced a tie-breaker in their match with Tobias Reitz and Mark Dwyer winning 8-7 (5) to post the only doubles win for the Blue Raiders.
Middle Tennessee rebounded quickly in singles play winning three straight to take a 3-1 lead in the match.
McKenzie started the rally with his 6-0, 7-6 (3) win over Reitz in No. 2 singles.
Then Peers won a three-set battle over Alexander Thams. Peers lost the first set 7-6 (4) but took decisive 6-4 and 6-2 victories in the next two sets for the win.
Junior Victor Melo picked up his win in No. 1 singles 6-4, 7-6 (3) over Dwyer.
Rounding out the match for the Blue Raiders was sophomore Richard Cowden who fell to Joshua Graves 6-4, 6-3.
The Blue Raiders will have the rest of the week off before facing Vanderbilt at 2 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 14 at the Currey Tennis Center.
1. Victor Melo (MT) def. Marc Dwyer (NU) 6-4, 7-6 (7-3)
2. Robert McKenzie (MT) def. Tobias Reitz (NU) 6-0, 7-6 (7-3)
3. John Peers (MT) def. Alexander Thams (NU) 6-7 (4-7), 6-4, 6-2
4. Alex Sanborn (NU) def. Morgan Richard (MT) 4-6, 6-3, 6-1
5. Eric Spector (NU) def. Alex McCann (MT) 6-3, 6-2
6. Joshua Graves (NU) def. Richard Cowden (MT) 6-4, 6-3
1. Robert McKenzie/John Peers (MT) def. Tobias Reitz/Marc Dwyer (NU) 8-7 (7-5)
2. Alex Sanborn/Joshua Graves (NU) def. Richard Cowden/Kyle Wishing (MT) 8-4
3. Andrew McCarthy/Alexander Thams (NU) def. Victor Melo/Morgan Richard (MT) 8-5
Middle Tennessee 2-1
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (2,3,1,4,5,6) T-4:30
Follow the Blue Raiders on Twitter @MTAthletics for continued updates.
More Men's Tennis NewsMar 9, 2014: Raiders drop Murray State, fall to Memphis
Mar 9, 2014: Raiders host Memphis & Murray State
Mar 7, 2014: MT Men's Tennis downs Jackson State, 7-0
Mar 2, 2014: MT Men's Tennis downed by No. 20 Columbia
Feb 28, 2014: Men's Tennis falls to Cornell, 4-3
Feb 28, 2014: Men's Tennis travels to New York for two matches