Blue Raiders drop 5-2 decision to North Texas
Araya posts only singles winFebruary 22, 2009 · MT Athletic Communications
The Blue Raiders won the doubles point, which had been their downfall in a number of matches, to take a 1-0 lead in the match.
Then North Texas mounted a rally that the Blue Raiders had done themselves a number of times. The Mean Green won five of the six singles matches to take the win from Middle Tennessee.
"We have worked really hard on doubles and it paid off today with us winning the point," head coach Alison Ojeda said. "We relaxed when it came time for singles and we can not do that and still expect to win. We need to work on keeping our level of intensity throughout the match. We are very young and definitely showed our inexperience today."
Junior Natalie Araya posted the lone singles win with her 7-5, 6-4 performance against Catalina Cruz at the No. 3 position.
The Blue Raiders will be back in action on Thursday, Feb. 26 when they travel back to Louisville, Ky., to face Louisville at 2 p.m.
1. #14 Irina Paraschiv (NT) def. Andrea Herrera (MT) 6-1, 6-2
2. #16 Madura Ranganathan (NT) def. Marietta Bigus (MT) 6-2, 7-5
3. Natalie Araya (MT) def. Catalina Cruz (NT) 7-5, 6-4
4. Paula Dinuta (NT) def. Taylor Coffey (MT) 6-4, 6-3
5. Amy Joubert (NT) def. Alex Dachos (MT) 6-1, 6-2
6. Rachel Wilhelm (NT) def. Marlene Chemin (MT) 6-4, 6-4
1. #8 Madura Ranganathan/Irina Paraschiv (NT) def. Marlene Chemin/Marietta Bigus (MT) 8-4
2. Natalie Araya/Taylor Coffey (MT) def. Catalina Cruz/Narine Kazarova (NT) 8-5
3. Anna Djananova/Alex Dachos (MT) def. Rachel Wilhelm/Amy Joubert (NT) 9-8 (9-7)
North Texas 7-3
Middle Tennessee 6-2
Follow the Blue Raiders on Twitter @MTAthletics for continued updates.
More Women's Tennis NewsApr 15, 2014: Women's Tennis plays FAU in C-USA First Round
Apr 14, 2014: Raiders take on FAU in First Round of C-USA Championship
Apr 13, 2014: Blue Raiders fall to No. 31 Tennessee
Apr 12, 2014: Women's Tennis visits No. 31 Tennessee on Sunday
Apr 9, 2014: Middle Tennessee summer camp dates announced
Apr 5, 2014: Raiders defeat Texas State to close out regular season