Blue Raiders drop 5-2 decision to North Texas
Araya posts only singles winFebruary 22, 2009 · MT Athletic Communications
The Blue Raiders won the doubles point, which had been their downfall in a number of matches, to take a 1-0 lead in the match.
Then North Texas mounted a rally that the Blue Raiders had done themselves a number of times. The Mean Green won five of the six singles matches to take the win from Middle Tennessee.
"We have worked really hard on doubles and it paid off today with us winning the point," head coach Alison Ojeda said. "We relaxed when it came time for singles and we can not do that and still expect to win. We need to work on keeping our level of intensity throughout the match. We are very young and definitely showed our inexperience today."
Junior Natalie Araya posted the lone singles win with her 7-5, 6-4 performance against Catalina Cruz at the No. 3 position.
The Blue Raiders will be back in action on Thursday, Feb. 26 when they travel back to Louisville, Ky., to face Louisville at 2 p.m.
1. #14 Irina Paraschiv (NT) def. Andrea Herrera (MT) 6-1, 6-2
2. #16 Madura Ranganathan (NT) def. Marietta Bigus (MT) 6-2, 7-5
3. Natalie Araya (MT) def. Catalina Cruz (NT) 7-5, 6-4
4. Paula Dinuta (NT) def. Taylor Coffey (MT) 6-4, 6-3
5. Amy Joubert (NT) def. Alex Dachos (MT) 6-1, 6-2
6. Rachel Wilhelm (NT) def. Marlene Chemin (MT) 6-4, 6-4
1. #8 Madura Ranganathan/Irina Paraschiv (NT) def. Marlene Chemin/Marietta Bigus (MT) 8-4
2. Natalie Araya/Taylor Coffey (MT) def. Catalina Cruz/Narine Kazarova (NT) 8-5
3. Anna Djananova/Alex Dachos (MT) def. Rachel Wilhelm/Amy Joubert (NT) 9-8 (9-7)
North Texas 7-3
Middle Tennessee 6-2
Follow the Blue Raiders on Twitter @MTAthletics for continued updates.
More Women's Tennis NewsApr 20, 2013: Blue Raiders' title quest ends in SBC Semifinals
Apr 19, 2013: Resilient effort leads Raiders to 4-3 win over Troy
Apr 18, 2013: Raiders outlast ASU to advance to SBC Quarterfinals
Apr 17, 2013: MT opens SBC Championships with Arkansas State
Apr 16, 2013: Raiders earn No. 6 seed for SBC Championship
Apr 14, 2013: Blue Raiders fall at No. 74 North Texas