Blue Raiders defeat LMU 5-2
Melo seals win for MTFebruary 27, 2009 · MT Athletic Communications
The Blue Raiders began the match by winning the doubles point to take a 1-0 lead. Junior Victor Melo and sophomore John Peers won the point for MT as they defeated Geza Bazula and Johan Berhof 9-8 (2).
"It certainly wasn't our best tennis. I was a little disappointed we didn't show up in doubles and it showed in our singles play. It is a little concerning headed into tomorrow's match but we got the win," head coach David McNamara said.
Peers won his singles match 6-3, 6-1 over Renzo Maggi to give the Blue Raiders a 2-0 lead.
LMU did not give up as it won No. 5 and 6 singles to tie the match at 2. Senior Morgan Richard then broke the tie as he defeated Bazula 6-2, 6-3.
Reigning SBC Player of the Week, Melo continued to perform well as he clinched the win for the Blue Raiders with his 6-7 (4) win over Aram Abgaryan.
McKenzie won his 10th straight singles match to close out play as he defeated Ivan Lopez 406, 6-1, 6-1.
"As long as we come ready to play we should be alright. It will be a battle but if the guys who have been winning continue to do what they have been doing we should be in good shape," McNamara said.
The Blue Raiders will be back in action on Saturday, Feb. 28 at 3 p.m. as they play Fresno State in Fresno, Calif. Results will be posted on goblueraiders.com when they become available.
1. #111 Robert McKenzie (MT) def. Ivan Lopez (LMU) 4-6, 6-1, 6-4
2. Victor Melo (MT) def. Aram Abgaryan (LMU) 6-7 (4), 6-4, 6-1
3. #72 John Peers (MT) def. Renzo Maggi (LMU) 6-3, 6-1
4. Morgan Richard (MT) def. Geza Bazula (LMU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Johan Berhof (LMU) def. Alex McCann (MT) 6-0, 6-1
6. Aris Andreasian (LMU) def. Kyle Wishing (MT) 6-1, 6-2
1. Victor Melo/John Peers (MT) def. Geza Bazula/Johan Berhof (LMU) 9-8 (2)
2. Robert McKenzie/Morgan Richard (MT) def. Renzo Maggi/Aram Abgaryan (LMU) 8-3
3. Ivan Lopez/Nick Von Der Ahe (LMU) def. Alex McCann/Kyle Wishing (MT) 8-1
Middle Tennessee 5-3; National ranking #66
Loyola Marymount 0-7
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (3,5,6,4,2,1)
Follow the Blue Raiders on Twitter @MTAthletics for continued updates.
More Men's Tennis NewsDec 3, 2013: Blue Raiders add Hoang for spring 2014 season
Nov 3, 2013: Blue Raiders wrap up play at Louisville Invitational
Nov 2, 2013: Raiders continue play at Louisville Invitational
Nov 1, 2013: Blue Raiders take part in first day of Louisville Invitational
Oct 28, 2013: Ground broken on new indoor tennis facility
Oct 25, 2013: Tennis teams to host free clinic Saturday for Murfreesboro kids