Men's Tennis Upsets No. 31 Mississippi StateFebruary 27, 2005 · MT Media Relations
The victory is the first for the Blue Raiders (9-2) over Mississippi State in head coach Dale Short's 17-years at the helm of the program, which includes 12 previous tries.
"It's an exhilarating win for our team and our program," Short said. "It was a bit of a weird situation because we've been preparing on the outdoor courts, then to move indoors and compete the way we did, it was terrific."
There are just two indoor courts at Mississippi State (8-3), and the Blue Raiders won both doubles matches played.
The 30th-ranked duo of Andreas Siljestrom and Marco Born defeated MSU's 15th-ranked Luiz Carvalho and Jose Carlos-Pinto, 9-8 (5) at No. 1, with the 41st-ranked tandem of Brandon Allan and Kai Schledorn won 8-5 over Ivan Bjelica and Phillippe Frayssinoux at No. 2.
In singles Middle Tennessee continued its strong play, with Born winning first with a 7-6 (5), 6-4, triumph over Bjelica at No. 2. Siljestrom, ranked 86th in singles, then defeated Carvalho, 4-6, 6-3, 6-4, at No. 1.
The Bulldogs looked like they might win at No. 3, but Schledorn was able to pull out a three-setter, 4-6, 6-3, 6-3, over Frayssinoux.
"We didn't play as well against Ole Miss [on Saturday] and our goal was simply to play better," Short added. "It really shows the character of this team to bounce back from yesterday's loss and beat a very good Mississippi State team."
Middle Tennessee next plays in the HEB Invitational in Corpus Christi, Texas, Friday through Sunday.
#45 Middle Tennessee 4, #31 Mississippi State 0
1. (86) Andreas Siljestrom (MT) def. Luiz Carvalho (MSU), 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
2. Marco Born (MT) def. Ivan Bjelica (MSU), 7-6 (5), 6-4
3. Kai Schledorn (MT) def. Phillippe Frayssinoux (MSU), 4-6, 6-3, 6-2
4. Anant Sitaram (MT) vs. Jose Carlos-Pinto (MSU), DNF
5. Greg Pollack (MT) vs. Florent Girod (MSU), DNP
6. Brandon Allan (MT) vs. Pierre Mouillon (MSU), DNP
1. (30) Siljestrom-Born (MT) def. (15) Carvalho-Pinto (MSU), 9-8 (5)
2. (41) Allan-Schledorn (MT) def. Bjelica-Frayssinoux (MSU), 8-5
3. Sitaram-Pollack vs. Girod-Mouillon (MSU), DNF
Follow the Blue Raiders on Twitter @MTAthletics for continued updates.
More Men's Tennis NewsDec 3, 2013: Blue Raiders add Hoang for spring 2014 season
Nov 3, 2013: Blue Raiders wrap up play at Louisville Invitational
Nov 2, 2013: Raiders continue play at Louisville Invitational
Nov 1, 2013: Blue Raiders take part in first day of Louisville Invitational
Oct 28, 2013: Ground broken on new indoor tennis facility
Oct 25, 2013: Tennis teams to host free clinic Saturday for Murfreesboro kids