Blue Raiders split first day of tourney
Doubles point clinches win over Western MichiganMarch 6, 2009 · MT Athletic Communications
The No. 53 Blue Raiders played tournament host No. 52 Texas A&M Corpus Christi to begin the tournament.
Middle Tennessee's two best performers as of late, sophomore John Peers and senior Robert McKenzie, were getting ready to begin their third sets of their singles matches when the Islanders clinched the match.
TAMCC took the doubles point to begin the match and never looked back winning three straight singles matches to take the win.
The Blue Raiders rebounded in the afternoon with the win over Western Michigan. Middle Tennessee began the match with singles as McKenzie, junior Victor Melo and Peers all posted wins which tied the match at three.
In the deciding doubles matches Middle Tennessee won 2 of 3 to take the win. Peers teamed with Melo taking an 8-0 win over Kazuya Komada and Michael Calderone. Then McKenzie and senior Morgan Richard defeated Kevin Hayward and Zeyad Montasser 8-5 to clinch the win.
The Blue Raiders will be back in action on Saturday, March 7in the final day of competition at the HEB Tournament of Champions.
#52 Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 4, #53 Middle Tennessee 0
1. Mikhail Pavlov (AMCC) vs. Robert McKenzie (MT) 6-4, 3-6, unfinished
2. Laurent Montoisy (AMCC) vs. John Peers (MT) 6-4, 4-6, unfinished
3. Dmitry Novikov (AMCC) def. Victor Melo (MT) 6-3, 6-4
4. Jose Zunino (AMCC) vs. Morgan Richard (MT) 5-7, 5-4, unfinished
5. Jaume Farras (AMCC) def. Kyle Wishing (MT) 6-3, 6-2
6. James Langford (AMCC) def. Alex McCann (MT) 6-3, 6-2
1. Mikhail Pavlov/Dmitry Novikov (AMCC) def. John Peers/Victor Melo (MT) 8-6
2. Robert McKenzie/Morgan Richard (MT) def. Jose Zunino/Laurent Montoisy (AMCC) 8-3
3. James Langford/David Pace (AMCC) def. Kyle Wishing/Alex McCann (MT) 9-7
Middle Tennessee 5-6; National ranking #53
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 4-3; National ranking #52
#53 Middle Tennessee 4, #73 Western Michigan 3
1. Robert McKenzie (MT) def. Kevin Hayward (WMU) 7-6 (7-1), 6-3
2. John Peers (MT) def. Kazuya Komada (WMU) 6-3, 7-5
3. Victor Melo (MT) def. Michael Calderone (WMU) 6-1, 6-1
4. Casey Cullen (WMU) def. Morgan Richard (MT) 3-6, 6-3, 7-5
5. Zeyad Montasser (WMU) def. Kyle Wishing (MT) 6-3, 4-6, 7-6 (9-7)
6. Pablo Olivarez (WMU) def. Alex McCann (MT) 6-4, 6-4
1. John Peers/Victor Melo (MT) def. Kazuya Komada/Michael Calderone (WMU) 8-0
2. Morgan Richard/Robert McKenzie (MT) def. Kevin Hayward/Zeyad Montasser (WMU) 8-5
3. Casey Cullen/Pablo Olivarez (WMU) def. Kyle Wishing/Alex McCann (MT) 8-1
Western Michigan 9-8; National ranking #73
Middle Tennessee 6-6; National ranking #53
Friend of the Blue Raiders? Like us on Facebook and become part of the True Blue army today.
More Men's Tennis NewsMar 9, 2014: Raiders drop Murray State, fall to Memphis
Mar 9, 2014: Raiders host Memphis & Murray State
Mar 7, 2014: MT Men's Tennis downs Jackson State, 7-0
Mar 2, 2014: MT Men's Tennis downed by No. 20 Columbia
Feb 28, 2014: Men's Tennis falls to Cornell, 4-3
Feb 28, 2014: Men's Tennis travels to New York for two matches