Blue Raiders top BYU 4-1
Richard guides team in winMarch 7, 2009 · MT Athletic Communications
"It was a big performance for us today after what we went through yesterday against Texas A&M Corpus Christi and Western Michigan. Yesterday we played 2 matches, spending between five and seven hours on the courts in 85 degrees. We had a roller coaster of emotions and dealt with a lot of adversity but to the boys credit we came out on top," head coach David McNamara said.
"We finished play last night at 9 p.m. and we had to be back on the courts 12 hours later at 9 a.m. this morning. Again, the doubles point, which we played first, came down to No. 2 doubles again, down 7-6 and a break and Rob and Morgan both stepped up, breaking back the serve and went onto to win the match 9-7," McNamara said.
In singles action, No. 110 McKenzie defeated Evan Urbina 6-4, 6-2 to give the Blue Raiders a 2-0 lead in the match.
Then sophomore John Peers, ranked No. 85, defeated Shubert 6-4, 6-2. Richard sealed the win with his 6-0, 6-1 win over Georgy Batrakov.
"I challenged everyone on the team to work on individual things they had not executed that well. Morgan Richard played an amazing match, especially considering 12 hours earlier he had seven match points eventually losing 7-6 in the third set. Then to come out this morning and win 6-0 6-1 was good to see," McNamara said. "John Peers has kept his form going with a very solid win at No. 2 and then Rob McKenzie clinched it for the Blue Raiders keeping his winning streak alive at 13-0," McNamara said.
Middle Tennessee will be back in action on Saturday, March 14 when it plays host to Louisville at the Buck Bouldin Tennis Complex at 12 p.m.. Admission to all home tennis matches is free.
1. Robert McKenzie (MT) def. Evan Urbina (BYU) 6-4, 6-2
2. John Peers (MT) def. Thomas Shubert (BYU) 6-4, 6-2
3. Victor Melo (MT) vs. Roman Warias (BYU) 6-3, 4-3, unfinished
4. Morgan Richard (MT) def. Georgy Batrakov (BYU) 6-0, 6-1
5. Cassidy Mears (BYU) def. Kyle Wishing (MT) 6-2, 6-2
6. Alex McCann (MT) vs. Travis Fillmore (BYU) 3-6, 2-3, unfinished
1. John Peers/Victor Melo (MT) def. Evan Urbina/A.J. Young (BYU) 8-1
2. Robert McKenzie/Morgan Richard (MT) def. Cassidy Mears/Daniel Hwang (BYU) 9-7
3. Thomas Shubert/Travis Fillmore (BYU) def. Kyle Wishing/Alex McCann (MT) 8-1
Brigham Young 8-6; National ranking #65
Middle Tennessee 7-6; National ranking #53
Friend of the Blue Raiders? Like us on Facebook and become part of the True Blue army today.
More Men's Tennis NewsMar 7, 2014: MT Men's Tennis downs Jackson State, 7-0
Mar 2, 2014: MT Men's Tennis downed by No. 20 Columbia
Feb 28, 2014: Men's Tennis falls to Cornell, 4-3
Feb 28, 2014: Men's Tennis travels to New York for two matches
Feb 16, 2014: MT Men's Tennis splits Sunday matches
Feb 15, 2014: MT defeated by VCU, 5-2