Blue Raiders top Pioneers 4-3
McKenzie wins singles to hand MT matchMarch 28, 2009 · MT Athletic Communications
In singles action, Melo started things off with his 7-6 (5) 6-0 win over Althaus. Then Peers put Middle Tennessee up 3-0 in the match as he defeated David Simon 6-2, 7-5.
McKenzie handed the Blue Raiders the win as he defeated Zimmerman 6-3, 7-6 (6).
The two teams finished the matches still playing on the court even though Middle Tennessee had clinched the match. Denver won the final three singles matches but it was not enough to take the win away from the Blue Raiders.
Middle Tennessee was also scheduled to play UCF this weekend but the Golden Knights were unable to get into Denver due to cancelled flights and wintry weather conditions. The Blue Raiders will be back in action when they play host to the Sun Belt Shootout April 3-5 at the Buck Bouldin Tennis Complex.
1. Robert McKenzie (MT) def. Martin Zimmermann (DU) 6-3, 7-6 (7-6)
2. John Peers (MT) def. David Simon (DU) 6-2, 7-5
3. Victor Melo (MT) def. Benny Althaus (DU) 7-6 (7-5), 6-0
4. Yannick Weihs (DU) def. Morgan Richard (MT) 7-6 (7-2), 6-3
5. Andrew Landwerlen (DU) def. Matthew Langley (MT) 6-2, 6-2
6. Raviot Dhatt (DU) def. Kyle Wishing (MT) 7-6, 7-3
1. John Peers/Victor Melo (MT) def. Martin Zimmermann/David Simon (DU) 9-8 (7-4)
2. Robert McKenzie/Morgan Richard (MT) def. Raviot Dhatt/Benny Althaus (DU) 8-2
3. Yannick Weihs/Andrew Landwerlen (DU) def. Kyle Wishing/Matthew Langley (MT) 8-3
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (3,2,1,5,4,6)
Follow the Blue Raiders on Twitter @MTAthletics for continued updates.
More Men's Tennis NewsDec 3, 2013: Blue Raiders add Hoang for spring 2014 season
Nov 3, 2013: Blue Raiders wrap up play at Louisville Invitational
Nov 2, 2013: Raiders continue play at Louisville Invitational
Nov 1, 2013: Blue Raiders take part in first day of Louisville Invitational
Oct 28, 2013: Ground broken on new indoor tennis facility
Oct 25, 2013: Tennis teams to host free clinic Saturday for Murfreesboro kids