Women defeat UNO 4-2 in opening round
Will face top-seeded Denver in second round of tourneyApril 17, 2009 · MT Athletic Communications
The Blue Raiders first took the doubles point to go up 1-0 in the match. Junior Natalie Araya and freshman Taylor Coffey teamed up to defeat Amber Garza and Sofija Karalic 8-2. Senior Marlene Chemin and junior Anna Djananova won their match 8-5 over Ceara Howey and Kir Kemp.
Then Middle Tennessee went up 2-0 after Djananova defeated Howey 6-1, 6-1. UNO cut the lead to one after Kemp defeated Herrera 6-2, 6-2.
Araya won her match 6-4, 6-3 over Kozue Matsumoto putting the Blue Raiders within one point of clinching the match.
Chemin fell to Amber Garza 6-3, 6-2 and then Coffey won the match for Middle Tennessee with her 7-5, 6-1 over Karalic.
Middle Tennessee will play Denver in the second round of the tournament at 11:30 a.m. on Saturday, April 18.
1. Kir Kemp (UNO) def. Andrea Herrera (MT) 6-2, 6-2
2. Cassandra Escobar (UNO) vs. Marietta Bigus (MT) 6-3, 0-6, 5-1, unfinished
3. Natalie Araya (MT) def. Kozue Matsumoto (UNO) 6-4, 6-3
4. Taylor Coffey (MT) def. Sofija Karalic (UNO) 7-5, 6-1
5. Anna Djananova (MT) def. Ceara Howey (UNO) 6-1, 6-1
6. Amber Garza (UNO) def. Marlene Chemin (MT) 6-3, 6-2
1. Kozue Matsumoto/Cassandra Escobar (UNO) vs. Andrea Herrera/Marietta Bigus (MT) 6-1, unfinished
2. Taylor Coffey/Natalie Araya (MT) def. Amber Garza/Sofija Karalic (UNO) 8-2
3. Anna Djananova/Marlene Chemin (MT) def. Ceara Howey/Kir Kemp (UNO) 8-5
Middle Tennessee 9-13
New Orleans 9-9
Sun Belt Conference Tournament First-Round Match
Order of finish: Doubles 2,3, (1 unfinished) ... Singles 5, 1, 3, 6, 4, (2 UF)
Friend of the Blue Raiders? Like us on Facebook and become part of the True Blue army today.
More Women's Tennis NewsApr 20, 2013: Blue Raiders' title quest ends in SBC Semifinals
Apr 19, 2013: Resilient effort leads Raiders to 4-3 win over Troy
Apr 18, 2013: Raiders outlast ASU to advance to SBC Quarterfinals
Apr 17, 2013: MT opens SBC Championships with Arkansas State
Apr 16, 2013: Raiders earn No. 6 seed for SBC Championship
Apr 14, 2013: Blue Raiders fall at No. 74 North Texas