Women defeat UNO 4-2 in opening round
Will face top-seeded Denver in second round of tourneyApril 17, 2009 · MT Athletic Communications
The Blue Raiders first took the doubles point to go up 1-0 in the match. Junior Natalie Araya and freshman Taylor Coffey teamed up to defeat Amber Garza and Sofija Karalic 8-2. Senior Marlene Chemin and junior Anna Djananova won their match 8-5 over Ceara Howey and Kir Kemp.
Then Middle Tennessee went up 2-0 after Djananova defeated Howey 6-1, 6-1. UNO cut the lead to one after Kemp defeated Herrera 6-2, 6-2.
Araya won her match 6-4, 6-3 over Kozue Matsumoto putting the Blue Raiders within one point of clinching the match.
Chemin fell to Amber Garza 6-3, 6-2 and then Coffey won the match for Middle Tennessee with her 7-5, 6-1 over Karalic.
Middle Tennessee will play Denver in the second round of the tournament at 11:30 a.m. on Saturday, April 18.
1. Kir Kemp (UNO) def. Andrea Herrera (MT) 6-2, 6-2
2. Cassandra Escobar (UNO) vs. Marietta Bigus (MT) 6-3, 0-6, 5-1, unfinished
3. Natalie Araya (MT) def. Kozue Matsumoto (UNO) 6-4, 6-3
4. Taylor Coffey (MT) def. Sofija Karalic (UNO) 7-5, 6-1
5. Anna Djananova (MT) def. Ceara Howey (UNO) 6-1, 6-1
6. Amber Garza (UNO) def. Marlene Chemin (MT) 6-3, 6-2
1. Kozue Matsumoto/Cassandra Escobar (UNO) vs. Andrea Herrera/Marietta Bigus (MT) 6-1, unfinished
2. Taylor Coffey/Natalie Araya (MT) def. Amber Garza/Sofija Karalic (UNO) 8-2
3. Anna Djananova/Marlene Chemin (MT) def. Ceara Howey/Kir Kemp (UNO) 8-5
Middle Tennessee 9-13
New Orleans 9-9
Sun Belt Conference Tournament First-Round Match
Order of finish: Doubles 2,3, (1 unfinished) ... Singles 5, 1, 3, 6, 4, (2 UF)
Friend of the Blue Raiders? Like us on Facebook and become part of the True Blue army today.
More Women's Tennis NewsNov 2, 2013: Raiders pick up four wins in final day at Alabama
Nov 1, 2013: Constantinide claims pair of singles wins at Roberta Alison
Oct 31, 2013: Raiders close fall campaign at Roberta Alison Classic
Oct 28, 2013: Ground broken on new indoor tennis facility
Oct 21, 2013: Moraes finishes runner-up in backdraw at ITA Regionals
Oct 20, 2013: Moraes advances to backdraw semifinals at ITA Regional