Melo wins three-set battle for 4-3 win over Denver
Blue Raiders to face Florida Atlantic in tourney championship matchApril 18, 2009 · MT Athletic Communications
The match last four hours and 20 minutes before junior Victor Melo put it away with his three set battle. Melo defeated Benny Althaus 5-7, 6-3, 6-1 to seal the Blue Raiders a spot in the finals.
The match began with Denver taking the doubles point after winning two of the three matches. Melo paired with sophomore John Peers to win 8-2 over Martin Zimmermann and Andrew Landwerlen in the only doubles win for Middle Tennessee.
Senior Robert McKenzie tied the match at 1 with his 6-0, 6-3 win over Zimmermann. Then Peers defeated David Simson 6-1, 6-2 to give the Blue Raiders a one point advantage.
Senior Morgan Richard put Middle Tennessee within one point of clinching the match as he defeated Yannick Weihs in straight sets 6-2, 6-1 making the score 3-1.
The Blue Raiders lost No. 5 and 6 singles to the Pioneers which set up the dramatic ending by Melo.
Middle Tennessee will be back in action in the championship match at 1 p.m. on Sunday, April 19 when it faces Florida Atlantic. The winner of the match will earn an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament.
1. #96 Robert McKenzie (MT) def. Martin Zimmermann (DU) 6-0, 6-3
2. #104 John Peers (MT) def. David Simson (DU) 6-1, 6-2
3. Victor Melo (MT) def. Benny Althaus (DU) 5-7, 6-3, 6-1
4. Morgan Richard (MT) def. Yannick Weihs (DU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Andrew Landwerlen (DU) def. Matthew Langley (MT) 6-1, 6-0
6. Ravjot Dhatt (DU) def. Alex McCann (MT) 6-3, 4-6, 6-4
1. John Peers/Victor Melo (MT) def. Martin Zimmermann/Andrew Landwerlen (DU) 8-2
2. Benny Althaus/Yannick Weihs (DU) def. Robert McKenzie/Morgan Richard (MT) 8-6
3. David Simson/Ravjot Dhatt (DU) def. Alex McCann/Kyle Wishing (MT) 8-3
Middle Tennessee 15-9; National ranking #60
Sun Belt Conference Tournament Semifinals
Order of finish: Doubles: 1, 3, 2 ... Singles: 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 3
Friend of the Blue Raiders? Like us on Facebook and become part of the True Blue army today.
More Men's Tennis NewsMar 9, 2014: Raiders drop Murray State, fall to Memphis
Mar 9, 2014: Raiders host Memphis & Murray State
Mar 7, 2014: MT Men's Tennis downs Jackson State, 7-0
Mar 2, 2014: MT Men's Tennis downed by No. 20 Columbia
Feb 28, 2014: Men's Tennis falls to Cornell, 4-3
Feb 28, 2014: Men's Tennis travels to New York for two matches