Blue Raiders Drop 4-3 Decision at ULApril 1, 2005 · MT Media Relations
The loss ends a three-game winning streak for the Blue Raiders and avenges an earlier loss this season by the Ragin' Cajuns in Houston, Texas.
Middle Tennessee got off to a good start, winning the doubles point.
Nineteenth-ranked Andreas Siljestrom and Marco Born moved to 16-0 in dual matches this spring with an 8-4 decision over Evghenii Corduneanu at No. 2, while Greg Pollack and Anant Sitaram gave the Blue Raiders the first point of the match with an 8-4 victory over Robin Ley and Shaun Ellison at No. 3. UL won at No. 1, with Dusan Tabak and Kerei Abakar defeating 35th-ranked Brandon Allan and Kai Schledorn.
The Ragin' Cajuns won the match with a dominating performance in singles, winning four of the first five completed matches.
Tabak defeated Born, 1-6, 6-2, 6-3, at No. 2, while Ellison won 6-2, 0-6, 6-1, over Sitaram at No. 4. Abakar took a 3-7, 7-6, 6-4, win against Allan at No. 5, and Ley defeated Pollack, 6-1, 6-2, at No. 6.
Middle Tennessee only singles victories came from Siljestrom and Schledorn, with the former, ranked 88th, defeating Cordunaenu at No. 1, 6-4, 4-6, 7-6, and the latter taking a 6-0, 6-7, 10-8, decision over Singh at No. 3.
The Blue Raiders take on 21st-ranked Tulane Saturday in New Orleans, La., at 3 p.m. Middle Tennessee plays two of its final three matches at home, starting next Wednesday with a 2 p.m. tilt against Vanderbilt at the Buck Bouldin Tennis Center. Prince will be sponsoring the match, with the first 35 patrons in attendance receiving a free item from the company.
#48 Louisiana-Lafayette 4, #25 Middle Tennessee 3
1. (88) Andreas Siljestrom (MT) def. Evghenii Corduneanu (UL), 6-4, 4-6, 7-6
2. Dusan Tabak (UL) def. Marco Born (MT), 1-6, 6-2, 6-3
3. Kai Schledorn (MT) def. Amanjot Singh (UL), 6-0, 6-7, 10-8
4. Shaun Ellison (UL) def. Anant Sitaram (MT), 6-2, 0-6, 6-1
5. Kerei Abakar (UL) def. Brandon Allan (MT), 3-6, 7-6, 6-4
6. Robin Ley (UL) def. Greg Pollack (MT), 6-1, 6-2
1. Tabak-Abakar (UL) def. (35) Allan-Schledorn (MT), 8-6
2. (19) Born-Siljestrom (MT) def. Corduneanu-Singh (UL), 8-4
3. Pollack-Sitaram (MT) def. Ley-Ellison (UL), 8-4
Follow the Blue Raiders on Twitter @MTAthletics for continued updates.
More Men's Tennis NewsJul 11, 2014: MT Men's Tennis recognized by ITA for academics
Jul 8, 2014: Raiders add three to Men's Tennis squad
Jun 12, 2014: Men's Tennis' recruiting class ranked 24th among mid-majors
Jun 6, 2014: MT's Zito tabbed 95th in final ITA rankings
Jun 2, 2014: Borendame partners with Buddy Up Tennis
May 5, 2014: Borendame & SAAC host dodgeball tournament