Allan Clinches 5-1 Win at MemphisApril 10, 2005 · MT Media Relations
The Blue Raiders (15-6) won their second straight match and next play in the Sun Belt Championships, April 22-24, in Mobile, Ala.
Middle Tennessee won the doubles point by taking all three matches, but two came in tiebreakers.
Brandon Allan and Kai Schledorn defeated Alex Bucewicz and Marten Tamla at No. 2, 8-5, before Greg Pollack and Anant Sitaram secured the point with a 9-8 (4) victory over Alex Jago and Mark Finnegan at No. 3. Andreas Siljestrom and Marco Born, ranked 18th, finished off the three wins with another tiebreaker victory, this one 9-7, at No. 1 over James Spence and Scott Felsenthal.
In singles the Blue Raiders picked up two quick victories before Memphis got a win.
Siljestrom, ranked 97th in singles, defeated Bucewicz, 6-3, 6-4, at No. 1, and Sitaram won 6-4, 6-4, over Jago at No. 4. Tamla defeated Schledorn at No. 3, 6-2, 7-6 (5), leaving three matches on the court, all in the third set.
The Blue Raiders pulled out both matches before the third one was stopped, securing the 5-1 triumph.
Allan's 6-7 (4), 6-3, 6-4, victory at No. 5 over Finnegan was the clincher, with Allan overcoming a 3-0 deficit in the third set. Born won 3-6, 7-6 (9), 7-6 (4), over Spence at No. 2, taking the second-set tiebreaker after being down 5-1 and 6-3.
The Blue Raiders get the next 12 days off before taking part in the SBC Championships in Mobile.
#23 Middle Tennessee 5, Memphis 1
1. (97) Andreas Siljestrom (MT) def. Alex Bucewicz (UM), 6-3, 6-4
2. Marco Born (MT) def. James Spence (UM), 3-6, 7-6 (9), 7-6 (4)
3. Marten Tamla (UM) def. Kai Schledorn (MT), 6-2, 7-6 (5)
4. Anant Sitaram (MT) def. Alex Jago (UM), 6-4, 6-4
5. Brandon Allan (MT) def. Mark Finnegan (UM), 6-7 (4), 6-3, 6-4
6. Greg Pollack (MT) vs. Scott Felsenthal (UM), DNF
1. (18) Siljestrom-Born (MT) def. Spence-Felsenthal (UM), 9-8 (7)
2. Allan-Schledorn (MT) def. Bucewicz-Tamla (UM), 8-5
3. Pollack-Sitaram (MT) def. Jago-Finnegan (UM), 9-8 (4)
Friend of the Blue Raiders? Like us on Facebook and become part of the True Blue army today.
More Men's Tennis NewsJul 11, 2014: MT Men's Tennis recognized by ITA for academics
Jul 8, 2014: Raiders add three to Men's Tennis squad
Jun 12, 2014: Men's Tennis' recruiting class ranked 24th among mid-majors
Jun 6, 2014: MT's Zito tabbed 95th in final ITA rankings
Jun 2, 2014: Borendame partners with Buddy Up Tennis
May 5, 2014: Borendame & SAAC host dodgeball tournament