Raiders Sweep ChattanoogaJanuary 28, 2006 · MT Media Relations
The Blue Raiders played without Andreas Siljestrom, ranked 48th in singles and third in doubles, because of an ankle injury. Siljestrom should be able to return next week at Virginia Tech.
Middle Tennessee got off to a good start with three doubles wins, including a come-from-behind effort at No. 3.
Brandon Allan and Kai Schledorn won handily at No. 1 over UTC's Ryan Fitzgerald and Razvan Axente, 8-2. Marco Born, Siljestrom's usual doubles partner, and Greg Pollack won the final three games to defeat Badr Bouabdellah and Artyom Vlasenko, 8-5.
In singles action, the Blue Raiders won all six matches, including the final two in a pro set.
Born, ranked 98th in singles, struggled but came back to defeat Fynn, 4-6, 6-1, 6-3, at No. 1. Kuruppu won his singles outing, 6-4, 6-4, over Fitzgerald at No. 2.
Schledorn won a hard-fought match with Vlasenko at No. 3, 6-4, 7-6 (5), and Allan defeated Bouabdellah, 6-3, 6-3, at No. 4.
Pollack won 8-3 against Axente at No. 5, and Morgan Richard made his Blue Raider debut with an 8-2 victory over Hangstefer at No. 6.
"I thought for the first match it was OK," head coach Dale Short said. "We could have played a little smarter in places. I thought we played real good at one and two doubles, and we played better [in singles] as the matches went on."
Middle Tennessee plays again tonight at 6:30 p.m. against Belmont at the Racquet Club of Murfreesboro. The Blue Raiders hit the road next Saturday, facing Virginia Tech at 1 p.m. in Blacksburg, Va.
#34 MIDDLE TENNESSEE 7, CHATTANOOGA 0
1. (97) Marco Born (MT) def. Mark Fynn (UTC), 4-6, 6-1, 6-3
2. Rishan Kuruppu (MT) def. Ryan Fitzgerald (UTC), 6-4, 6-4
3. Kai Schledorn (MT) def. Artyom Vlasenko (UTC), 6-4, 7-6 (5)
4. Brandon Allan (MT) def. Badr Bouabdellah (UTC), 6-3, 6-3
5. Greg Pollack (MT) def. Justin Azente (UTC), 8-3
6. Morgan Richard (MT) def. Michael Hangstefer (UTC), 8-2
1. Allan-Schledorn (MT) def. Fitzgerald-Axente (UTC), 8-2
2. Born-Pollack (MT) def. Bouabdellah-Vlasenko (UTC), 8-5
3. Kuruppu-Marc Boiron (MT) def. Fynn-Hangstefer (UTC), 9-8 (5)
Friend of the Blue Raiders? Like us on Facebook and become part of the True Blue army today.
More Men's Tennis NewsMar 9, 2014: Raiders drop Murray State, fall to Memphis
Mar 9, 2014: Raiders host Memphis & Murray State
Mar 7, 2014: MT Men's Tennis downs Jackson State, 7-0
Mar 2, 2014: MT Men's Tennis downed by No. 20 Columbia
Feb 28, 2014: Men's Tennis falls to Cornell, 4-3
Feb 28, 2014: Men's Tennis travels to New York for two matches