Blue Raiders defeat Golden Eagles 6-1
Newcomers key in Sunday's winJanuary 23, 2011 · MT Athletic Communications
Then senior Kyle Wishing and r-freshman Dimitri Pippos fell 8-5 to Justin Kirstein and Alex Chen to even the doubles point. Junior Matthew Langley and freshman Elliot Barnwell led James Crawford and Lloyd Harris 6-1 before TTU's pair won three straight to make it 6-4. Then Langley and Barnwell pulled out the match by winning to straight for the 8-4 win and to take the lead in the match.
Davis defeated Emereev 6-2, 6-3 to begin singles action and make the score 2-0 in favor of the Blue Raiders.
Chen cut Middle Tennessee's lead to one, 2-1, with his 6-1, 7-6 win over Waters in No. 1 singles.
Barnwell won his first set easily 6-0 in No. 4 singles against Kirstein but fell 6-2 in the second set. In the third set, Barnwell battled and pulled out a 7-6 (9-7) win once again putting the Blue Raiders up by two, 3-1.
Pippos handled Murilo Oliviera in No. 5 singles defeating him 6-1, 6-0 to hand Middle Tennessee the match.
Rounding out the action for the Blue Raiders were Langley and Wishing. Langley battled against Girling in No. 2 singles winning the first set 7-5. He lost the second set 6-4 and then won a third set tie breaker 7-6 () to win his match.
Wishing pulled out his match 6-4, 3-6 and then won the supertie breaker 10-8.
The Blue Raiders will be back in action Saturday, Jan. 29 when they play host to Morehead State at Nashboro Village. The match is slated to begin at noon. Complete Results
1. CHEN, Alex (TTU) def. Shaun Waters (MT) 6-1, 7-6 (7-4)
2. Matthew Langley (MT) def. GIRLING, Josh (TTU) 7-5, 4-6, 7-6
3. Ben Davis (MT) def. EMEREEV, Vasily (TTU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Elliott Barnwell (MT) def. KIRSTEIN, Justin (TTU) 6-0, 2-6, 7-6 (9-7)
5. Dimitri Pippos (MT) def. OLIVIERA, Murilo (TTU) 6-1, 6-0
6. Kyle Wishing (MT) def. CRAWFORD, James (TTU) 6-4, 3-6, 10-8
1. Shaun Waters/Ben Davis (MT) def. EMEREEV, Vasily/GIRLING, Josh (TTU) 8-2
2. Elliott Barnwell/Matthew Langley (MT) def. CRAWFORD, James/HARRIS, Lloyd (TTU) 8-4
3. CHEN, Alex/KIRSTEIN, Justin (TTU) def. Kyle Wishing/Dimitri Pippos (MT) 8-5
Middle Tennessee 2-0 Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (3,1,4,5,2)
Follow the Blue Raiders on Twitter @MTAthletics for continued updates.
More Men's Tennis NewsApr 18, 2014: Raiders fall 4-1 to Rice in C-USA quarterfinals
Apr 17, 2014: Raiders clash with Rice to open C-USA Championship
Apr 14, 2014: MT earns first-round bye in C-USA Championship
Apr 13, 2014: MT downs No. 60 UCF, 4-3
Apr 11, 2014: MT defeated by No. 25 USF, 6-1
Apr 10, 2014: Raiders host USF, UCF to close out regular season