Eight-match homestand begins Saturday
Blue Raiders host Cajuns at 11 a.m. in tilt moved to NashvilleMarch 3, 2011 · Athletic Communications
"We are excited about getting back to playing matches, especially at home," head coach Melissa Schaub said. "It has been a good week of practices and everyone is looking forward to playing in front of our home fans, who support us so much."
The Blue Raiders enter the match with a 4-3 record with the three setbacks coming to nationally-ranked opponents. Middle Tennessee is 2-0 at home this season, including its only previous outdoor home contest, a 6-1 decision against Murray State Feb. 18.
Sophomore Yuiri Nomoto continues to pace the squad in singles action with her 5-2 ledger at the No. 1 spot. Juniors Marietta Bigus and Carla Nava are both 4-3 at the No. 2 and 3 positions, respectively.
In doubles action, both the No. 1 and 2 slots have contributed 4-3 records, although the top position has seen two different pairs combine for the mark.
The Ragin' Cajuns are 5-4 on the campaign and knocked off Florida Atlantic 4-2 in their last match Sunday. Louisiana also has faced a pair of nationally-ranked foes, dropping both contests.
The Sun Belt Conference does not recognize a formal league schedule, therefore, a league win or loss will not be determined at the conclusion of the match.
Live stats will be available by logging onto GoBlueRaiders.com.
Getting to Know...Carla Nava
1. What is your major and why did you choose it? My major is psychology and I picked that because I want to be a coach. I enjoy the human mind, and how we work, and why we do things, things like that.
2. What improvements have you noticed in the team since fall? All of the girls on the team have gotten better. Day by day, we're getting better. As a team, we are getting mentally stronger, more consistent.
3. Which teammate has the best nickname? I think 'Biggie' (Marietta Bigus) because she has so many different ones.
4. Which teammate gives the best advice? Taylor (Coffey). She will tell you the things you don't want to hear, but you need to hear. When I am struggling, she will tell me "you are doing this, and you need to be doing that". She will tell you straight.
5. If you could describe this team in one word, what would it be? Unity.
6. Which teammate makes you laugh the most or the hardest? Probably Lexi (Brand).
7. Which teammate is the most competitive? Alex Dachos, without question. She is competitive on everything you can possibly imagine.
8. How did you first hear about Middle Tennessee? My freshman year I was at a university near Houston (Lamar). At the end of the year, I wanted to transfer, and sent out a bunch of emails. One of them was to MT and Melissa emailed me back. We started talking and here I am.
9. What impressed you most when you visited here? I loved the team here. When I was in Houston, the team chemistry wasn't the best, but when I came here, the team chemistry on everything was great. That was my decision right away. I saw this team and I told them "I'm coming".
10. What is your favorite class so far? Abnormal Psych. It was an amazing class, really enjoyable. We all know about the problems that people have, but we don't really understand why they go thru things.
Friend of the Blue Raiders? Like us on Facebook and become part of the True Blue army today.
More Women's Tennis NewsApr 18, 2014: MT falls short in upset bid of No. 19 Tulsa
Apr 17, 2014: MT advances to C-USA Quarterfinals with win over UTSA
Apr 16, 2014: Raiders knock off FAU to advance in C-USA Championship
Apr 15, 2014: Women's Tennis plays FAU in C-USA First Round
Apr 14, 2014: Raiders take on FAU in First Round of C-USA Championship
Apr 13, 2014: Blue Raiders fall to No. 31 Tennessee