Women's tennis looks to extend streak
Blue Raiders at home versus Arkansas State FridayMarch 17, 2011 · Athletic Communications
"We have followed up the win with a good week of practice," head coach Melissa Schaub said. "Everyone has been focused and has brought a lot of energy and enthusiasm each day to the practice courts. If we come out with the right mindset Friday, we will give ourselves a good chance at a positive result."
The Blue Raiders won the doubles point and claimed four of the six singles matches to earn a 5-2 triumph over UALR Saturday. Junior Carla Nava clinched the victory with her straight-set decision at No. 3 singles. She also was instrumental in getting Middle Tennessee off on the right track by teaming with classmate Alex Dachos for a win at No. 3 doubles.
The victory over the Trojans evened the Blue Raiders' season record at 5-5 with eight regular-season matches remaining. Middle Tennessee is in the midst of its longest homestand since 2000 with eight contests played on its own courts and will face the Red Wolves in the fourth-straight tilt at home.
Arkansas State enters the weekend at 5-4 and will face UT-Martin in Martin, Tenn., Thursday before arriving in Murfreesboro. The Red Wolves, under the direction of head coach Marcia Williams, have won their last three matches before Thursday, including a pair at home in Jonesboro, Ark.
The Blue Raiders own a 8-5 lead in the all-time series, including victories in the last four matchups dating back to 2007.
Live stats for the match will be available on GoBlueRaiders.com and admission is free.
Getting to Know...Taylor Coffey
1. How did you first hear about Middle Tennessee? They contacted me when I was in high school.
2. What impressed you most on your official visit? The coaches. Also, this was the first school that I visited that I actually got to meet the Athletic Director, and I thought that was pretty impressive.
3. What is your favorite class? I had exercise physiology, and I took it with Richard Farley. The way he taught it was really interesting. It was all about systems of the body you use, when you run, when you are sprinting or long distance.
4. What do you consider to be the strength of your game and what do you feel like you need to improve on? My strength would be my serve and my forehand and I am getting better at looking at my opponent and figuring out her weaknesses instead of focusing on myself. My weakness right now is that I cannot play (injury), and my backhand has always been what I thought was my weaker shot, but it is coming around too.
5. What do you enjoy most about being a member of this team? The personalities. Those girls are crazy! They are all different and it has fun getting to know all those different types of cultures.
6. What did you enjoy most about the scavenger hunt that was part of a team bonding exercise in the fall? I think it was having to go get pictures of all the teams here at Middle Tennessee. There are some of those people that I probably would never have gotten to talk to if I had not had that experience. It was interesting.
7. Which teammate makes you laugh the most or hardest? Probably Carla, she is just goofy.
8. Who is the best locker room dancer? Yuiri Nomoto.
9. Other than tennis, what is your favorite sport? I actually play golf. I have never played it competitively, but I really enjoy golfing.
10. What are your plans after graduation? I plan to go to grad school somewhere and hopefully be like a weight room grad assistant. I am not sure where, but I would like to go somewhere around Atlanta. As far as settling down, I think I would like to live in the Carolinas somewhere.
Friend of the Blue Raiders? Like us on Facebook and become part of the True Blue army today.
More Women's Tennis NewsMar 6, 2014: Raiders welcome Jackson State on Friday
Mar 1, 2014: Blue Raiders fall to Louisiana Tech, 5-2
Feb 28, 2014: Women's Tennis shuts down TSU, 7-0
Feb 27, 2014: MT Tennis plays TSU and LA Tech this weekend
Feb 22, 2014: Blue Raiders drop 5-2 match to Chattanooga
Feb 21, 2014: Women's Tennis hosts Chattanooga on Saturday