Middle Tennessee looks to regroup Sunday
Match 5 of 8 at home in a row for Blue RaidersMarch 19, 2011 · Athletic Communications
MURFREESBORO, Tenn. - Middle Tennessee women's tennis will look to bounce back from a loss Friday when it plays host to Memphis in the fifth of eight straight home matches Sunday at Noon at the Buck Bouldin Tennis Center.
"We need to come out with confidence and be ready to compete," head coach Melissa Schaub said. "There have been some encouraging signs lately, but we need to continue to develop those and put forth the effort it takes to win."
The Blue Raiders dropped a 5-2 decision to Arkansas State Friday. After starting with claiming the doubles point, Middle Tennessee was unable to sustain the momentum and was victorious just once in singles action. Junior Carla Nava was the lone Blue Raider to win in singles before the Red Wolves rallied for five-straight victories to claim the triumph.
Memphis owns a 9-6 record entering the contest after defeating Illinois State and Detroit in a pair of matches last Saturday. The Lady Tigers have won six consecutive outings overall and feature a trio of players with double-digit singles victories, all at the top-three positions.
Middle Tennessee lost last year's meeting, a 6-1 setback in Memphis, April 3.
Live stats will be available through GoBlueRaiders.com and admission is free to the match at the on-campus facility.
Getting to Know...Lexi Brand
1. What impressed you most when you visited MT? I actually visited about three days before school started and the thing that impressed me most was my teammates. They got here about the same day that I got here, so it was not like they had been here for a while. Right away I fit it. They were the goofiest and most random bunch of girls and that was perfect for me.
2. What is your favorite class? Economics. I like it because it is not just about the numbers but how to approach certain situations. It is like a different way of thinking. There is a book called "Super Freaks Economics", and it is the funniest book I have ever read. It is about things like why suicide bombers should get life insurance, things like that. That class is so much fun.
3. What is the strength of your game and what do you need to work on? I think I am a smart player. I do not have the big shots like the outstanding forehand or anything like that. I have a smart game that allows me not to have the best shots and still do well. For instance, I do not try to change the direction of the ball because that leads to more errors. Something that I need to improve on is being able to use my strength to put away balls. I can get into the habit of hitting balls just to get them back and I need to put the ball away.
4. If you could describe your team in one word, what would it be? Random. We have an odd collection of girls from different places. Each of us has very different personalities. This team is the best thing that has ever happened to me. They are great girls. They are going to be my best friends for life.
5. Which teammate has the best nickname? We all have multiple nicknames. I am Jar Jar. I never knew who that was until I came to school here. Now I can make all the faces. Marietta has the most used one, Biggie. There are people who do not know what her real name is.
6. Which teammate is the most competitive? Alex Dachos.
7. What improvements have you noticed in the team since you got here in the fall? Everyone has improved their game and Alex, in particular, has been unbelievable in how much she has improved.
8. Which teammate makes you laugh the most? Each girl makes me laugh in a different way, and as a team, we are the funniest group I have been around.
9. Who is the best locker room dancer? First of all, we all need to stick to tennis, but Yuiri is the most entertaining, although she does not dance often.
10. What are your plans after graduation? I want to go back to Canada. I may go to grad school and probably will work for my dad's company. I am so proud of him. He has grown the company so much and I want to be a part of it. I want him to be proud of me.
Friend of the Blue Raiders? Like us on Facebook and become part of the True Blue army today.
More Women's Tennis NewsMay 31, 2013: Blue Raiders announce Tennis Camp dates
Apr 20, 2013: Blue Raiders' title quest ends in SBC Semifinals
Apr 19, 2013: Resilient effort leads Raiders to 4-3 win over Troy
Apr 18, 2013: Raiders outlast ASU to advance to SBC Quarterfinals
Apr 17, 2013: MT opens SBC Championships with Arkansas State
Apr 16, 2013: Raiders earn No. 6 seed for SBC Championship