Blue Raiders Fall, 4-2May 13, 2006 · MT Media Relations
The Blue Raiders (16-8) end their season with a first-round loss in the NCAA Tournament for the second straight season. Middle Tennessee was making its eighth NCAA appearance in the last 12 seasons, all under head coach Dale Short.
Short said the Blue Raiders knew it was going to be a tough match with everyone needing to play their best.
"We knew going in that the two teams were evenly matched," Short said. "I felt they had a little edge, they won their conference tournament while we lost in ours. Every player had to bring their 'A' game today.
"We lost matches at five and six where there was a bit of controversy on both courts, but those things are going to happen."
The Blue Raiders picked up the first point of the match with doubles victories at Nos. 1 and 2, including a come-from-behind win at No. 2.
The Golden Hurricane quickly evened the match, with Gray defeating Allan, 6-2, 6-3, at No. 4. Brugues, ranked seventh, won the first set over No. 48 Siljestrom at No. 1, 6-1, but Siljestrom led the second set until late, falling in a tiebreaker, 7-3.
Born evened the match at two with a 6-3, 4-6, 6-3, triumph over 62nd-ranked Federico Soriano at No. 2. Cunningham gave Tulsa a 3-2 edge with a 6-3, 3-6, 6-3, victory over Richard at No. 5, and Diego Camacho won the deciding match with a 6-3, 4-6, 6-4, win over Rishan Kuruppu at No. 6.
Schledorn led the final match still on the court, 6-4, 5-7, 6-5.
Full results from the match may be found at http://baylorbears.cstv.com/ot/06-ncaa-tennis-regionals.html.
#34 Tulsa 4, #31 Middle Tennessee 2
1. (7) Arnau Brugues (UT) def. (48) Andreas Siljestrom (MT), 6-1, 7-6 (3)
2. Marco Born (MT) def. (62) Federico Soriano (UT), 6-3, 4-6, 6-3
3. Kai Schledorn (MT) vs. (115) Ricardo Soriano (UT), 6-4, 5-7, 6-5, DNF
4. Will Gray (UT) def. Brandon Allan (MT), 6-2, 6-3
5. Ross Cunningham (UT) def. Morgan Richard (MT), 6-3, 3-6, 6-4
6. Diego Camacho (UT) def. Rishan Kuruppu (MT), 6-3, 4-6, 6-4
Order of Finish: 4,1,2,5,6*
1. (6) Siljestrom-Born (MT) def. (59) Brugues-Aleksander Charpantidis (UT), 8-6
2. Allan-Schledorn (MT) def. Cunningham-Andy Connelly (UT), 8-6
3. F. Soriano-Gray (UT) def. Greg Pollack-Richard (MT), 8-5
Order of Finish: 2,3,1*
Friend of the Blue Raiders? Like us on Facebook and become part of the True Blue army today.
More Men's Tennis NewsApr 14, 2014: MT earns first-round bye in C-USA Championship
Apr 13, 2014: MT downs No. 60 UCF, 4-3
Apr 11, 2014: MT defeated by No. 25 USF, 6-1
Apr 10, 2014: Raiders host USF, UCF to close out regular season
Apr 9, 2014: Middle Tennessee summer camp dates announced
Apr 8, 2014: Zito breaks into ITA singles rankings