Blue Raiders top UL-Lafayette to advance to semifinals
Team posts strong performances in 4-1 victoryApril 21, 2011 · MT Athletic Communications
The Blue Raiders (11-12) won the doubles point after senior Kyle Wishing and freshman Elliot Barnwell defeated Carlin Murray and Ted Nilsson 8-6. Junior Matt Langley and r-freshman Dimitri Pippos won No. 3 doubles with an 8-4 win over Robert Voss and Carl Alberton.
"The guys came out with a lot of intensity today and it showed. They battled through adversity around them and I am very proud of the way the team played today," head coach Jimmy Borendame said.
Wishing then won his singles match 6-2, 6-1 against Elliot Minvielle at No. 6 singles giving Middle Tennessee a 2-0 lead in the match.
The Ragin' Cajuns closed the gap to one, 2-1, when Nilsson defeated Pippos 6-3, 6-3 at No. 4.
Freshman Ben Davis ran the lead back out to two, 3-1, with his 7-6 (3), 6-3 win over Murray at the No. 1 position.
Langley sealed the 4-1 win for the Blue Raiders with his 7-5, 6-4 win over Voss at No. 3 singles.
The Blue Raiders will face Denver, the one seed, in the semifinals of the Sun Belt Championships on Friday, April 22 at 2 p.m.
1. Ben Davis (MT) def. Murray, Carlin (UL) 7-6 (7-3), 6-3
2. Shaun Waters (MT) vs. Mandl, Yanick (UL) 5-7, 5-3, unfinished
3. Matthew Langley (MT) def. Voss, Robert (UL) 7-5, 6-4
4. Nilsson, Ted (UL) def. Dimitri Pippos (MT) 6-3, 6-3
5. Elliot Barnwell (MT) vs. Alberton, Carl (UL) 0-6, 6-4, unfinished
6. Kyle Wishing (MT) def. Minvielle, Elliot (UL) 6-2, 6-1
1. Shaun Waters/Ben Davis (MT) vs. Mandl, Yanick/Farine, Brandon (UL) 6-7, unfinished
2. Elliot Barnwell/Kyle Wishing (MT) def. Murray, Carlin/Nilsson, Ted (UL) 8-6
3. Matthew Langley/Dimitri Pippos (MT) def. Voss, Robert/Alberton, Carl (UL) 8-4
Middle Tennessee 11-12
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (6,4,1,3)
Friend of the Blue Raiders? Like us on Facebook and become part of the True Blue army today.
More Men's Tennis NewsDec 3, 2013: Blue Raiders add Hoang for spring 2014 season
Nov 3, 2013: Blue Raiders wrap up play at Louisville Invitational
Nov 2, 2013: Raiders continue play at Louisville Invitational
Nov 1, 2013: Blue Raiders take part in first day of Louisville Invitational
Oct 28, 2013: Ground broken on new indoor tennis facility
Oct 25, 2013: Tennis teams to host free clinic Saturday for Murfreesboro kids