Blue Raiders dominate in home-opening matches
MT knocks off Chattanooga, Morehead StateJanuary 29, 2012 · Athletic Communications
“We played extremely well all-around today,” head coach Jimmy Borendame said. “We had a lot of dominant performances and even in sets that we dropped, I thought we showed a lot of poise in battling back in the next set. I thought our doubles play was solid as well.”
Ben Davis, Matthew Langley, Christoph Lang, Ettore Zito and Dimitri Pippos each won two singles matches on the day. Davis allowed just two points between his two opponents, winning the first match, 6-2, 3-0 (retirement) and the second, 6-0, 6-0. Langley earned his first-match victory in straight sets (6-3, 6-4) and battled back in his second match after dropping the first set, cruising through the super-tiebreaker for the 2-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-0) win. Zito also won his set in a super-tiebreaker (3-6, 6-4, 1-0 (12-10)).
Lang won his first match in three sets and took the second in straight sets, while Pippos dominated with back-to-back straight-set victories. Yannick Born earned his first singles victory for the Blue Raiders, capturing a 6-1, 6-1 win in the second match of the day.
MT continues the homestand on Feb. 10, welcoming Northwestern for a 3 p.m. match at Nashboro Village. The Blue Raiders complete the weekend against at home against Brown on Feb. 11.
Middle Tennessee 6, Chattanooga 1
1. Ben Davis (MT) def. Roberto Vieira (UTC) 6-2, 3-0, retirement
2. Matthew Langley (MT) def. Chris Smith (UTC) 6-3, 6-4
3. Ettore Zito (MT) def. Ankit Chopra (UTC) 3-6, 6-4, 1-0 (12-10)
4. Christoph Lang (MT) def. M. Barroetavena (UTC) 6-4, 3-6, 6-1
5. Jackson Tresnan (UTC) def. Yannick Born (MT) 3-6, 6-3, 1-0 (18-16)
6. Dimitri Pippos (MT) def. Pavels Grigorjevs (UTC) 6-1, 6-3
1. Christoph Lang/Ben Davis (MT) def. Roberto Vieira/Chris Smith (UTC) 8-4
2. Yannick Born/Marlon Brand (MT) def. Stephen Crofford/Ankit Chopra (UTC) 8-5
3. Ettore Zito/Matthew Langley (MT) def. Pavels Grigorjevs/Jackson Tresnan (UTC) 8-5
Middle Tennessee 7, Morehead State 0
1. Ben Davis (MT) def. HARLOW, Justin (MOR) 6-0, 6-0
2. Matthew Langley (MT) def. CLIFFORD, David (MOR) 2-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-0)
3. Christoph Lang (MT) def. DELIGNY, Kevin (MOR) 6-0, 6-2
4. Yannick Born (MT) def. MARTIN, Nathan (MOR) 6-1, 6-1
5. Dimitri Pippos (MT) def. DAY, Seve (MOR) 6-0, 6-2
6. Forrest Edwards (MT) def. ALMONTE, Hugo (MOR) 6-2, 6-2
1. Ben Davis/Christoph Lang (MT) def. HARLOW, Justin/CLIFFORD, David (MOR) 8-4
2. Yannick Born/Marlon Brand (MT) def. DELIGNY, Kevin/DAY, Seve (MOR) 8-6
3. Ettore Zito/Dimitri Pippos (MT) def. WHITE, Roger/MARTIN, Nathan (MOR) 8-3
Follow the Blue Raiders on Twitter @MTAthletics for continued updates.
More Men's Tennis NewsDec 3, 2013: Blue Raiders add Hoang for spring 2014 season
Nov 3, 2013: Blue Raiders wrap up play at Louisville Invitational
Nov 2, 2013: Raiders continue play at Louisville Invitational
Nov 1, 2013: Blue Raiders take part in first day of Louisville Invitational
Oct 28, 2013: Ground broken on new indoor tennis facility
Oct 25, 2013: Tennis teams to host free clinic Saturday for Murfreesboro kids