Four singles victories lift Blue Raiders to win over No. 74 ETSU
Langley's three-set thriller clinched match for MTFebruary 18, 2012 · Athletic Communications
“I’m really proud of the guys and the grit they showed today,” head coach Jimmy Borendame said. “Two weeks in a row now we’ve had big wins. We had a number of guys battle back in their matches, particularly, Ben Davis. He tweaked his leg, but played through it and came up with a big win. ETSU was really tough, and it’s a big turn for us after losing to them 7-0 last year. Again, I’m just really proud of the great team effort.”
After dropping the doubles point, Christoph Lang got singles action rolling with a straight-set win. The Bucs took a 2-1 lead in the match after Ettore Zito suffered a loss, but Ben Davis battled through three sets, 6-1, 3-6, 6-3, to pull the Blue Raiders even with ETSU. It marked Davis’ fifth-straight singles victory.
Forrest Edwards’ 6-2, 6-1 win gave MT a 3-2 edge, and Langley finished off the Bucs in a tight contest. Langley, facing Jesus Bandres for the second time this year, earned a 7-6 win in the first set, but dropped the second, 3-6. The two went to the wire in the third set before Langley pulled ahead for the 7-5 clincher. The two also played a three-set match in October, with Langley earning the victory.
The Blue Raiders will take the weekend off before returning to action March 2-3 at the HEB Classic in Corpus Christi, Texas. The field includes Western Michigan, Texas A&M-CC, Maryland, Purdue, New Mexico, Texas Tech, DePaul.
Middle Tennessee 4, #74 ETSU 3
1. Ben Davis (MT) def. Sander Gille (ETSU) 6-1, 3-6, 6-3
2. Matthew Langley (MT) def. Jesus Bandres (ETSU) 7-6, 3-6, 7-5
3. Christoph Lang (MT) def. Juan Ramirez (ETSU) 6-2, 7-5
4. Jeremy Bonnevalle (ETSU) def. Ettore Zito (MT) 7-6, 6-3
5. Forrest Edwards (MT) def. Jorge Varon (ETSU) 6-2, 6-1
6. Roger Ordeig (ETSU) def. Yannick Born (MT) 6-4, 6-7, 10-5
1. Sander Gille/Robin Akser (ETSU) def. Ben Davis/Christoph Lang (MT) 9-8
2. Yannick Born/Marlon Brand (MT) def. Juan Ramirez/Jeremy Bonnevalle (ETSU) 9-7
3. Jesus Bandres/Jorge Varon (ETSU) def. Matthew Langley/Ettore Zito (MT) 8-6
ETSU 0-8; National ranking #74
Middle Tennessee 4-3
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (3,4,1,5,2,6)
Friend of the Blue Raiders? Like us on Facebook and become part of the True Blue army today.
More Men's Tennis NewsDec 3, 2013: Blue Raiders add Hoang for spring 2014 season
Nov 3, 2013: Blue Raiders wrap up play at Louisville Invitational
Nov 2, 2013: Raiders continue play at Louisville Invitational
Nov 1, 2013: Blue Raiders take part in first day of Louisville Invitational
Oct 28, 2013: Ground broken on new indoor tennis facility
Oct 25, 2013: Tennis teams to host free clinic Saturday for Murfreesboro kids