Blue Raiders split decisions at HEB Tournament of Champions
MT falls to TAMU-CC, defeats Western MichiganMarch 2, 2012 · Athletic Communications
CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas - The Middle Tennessee men’s tennis team split decisions at the HEB Tournament of Champions, claiming a 4-0 victory over Western Michigan after falling to Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, 4-1, on Friday at the Henry Tennis Center. Christoph Lang went undefeated on the day in singles competition, winning both matches in straight sets.
The Blue Raiders (5-4) opened the contest against the Islanders (5-6) and dropped the doubles point despite an 8-3 victory for Ettore Zito and Matthew Langley. Langley suffered the first setback in singles action, falling 6-0, 6-1, then the Islanders took a 3-0 lead when Ben Davis fell, 6-3, 6-1, in the top slot.
Lang scored the first point for MT with a 6-4, 6-3 win in the third slot, but Fernando Llorens’ 7-6, 6-4 triumph over Forrest Edwards clinched the match for the Islanders.
The Blue Raiders bounced back in the second contest of the day against the Broncos (9-6). The match began with singles action and MT dominated from the outset, as all four Blue Raiders that finished their matches won in straight sets.
In addition to Lang, Davis, Langley and Pippos picked up victories to propel the Blue Raiders to the 4-0 win.
MT concludes the tournament against No. 61 South Alabama on Saturday morning at 9 a.m. CT at the HEB Tennis Center. For live updates, follow @IslandersTennis on Twitter.
Texas A&M - Corpus Christi 4, #63 Middle Tennessee 1
1. Peter Nagy (AMCC) def. Ben Davis (MT) 6-3, 6-1
2. Aurelien Tave (AMCC) def. Matthew Langley (MT) 6-0, 6-1
3. Christoph Lang (MT) def. Gergo Weidinger (AMCC) 6-4, 6-3
4. Nathan Robinson (AMCC) vs. Ettore Zito (MT) 6-3, 2-6, 0-1, unfinished
5. Fernando Llorens (AMCC) def. Forrest Edwards (MT) 7-6, 6-4
6. Pietro Jordao (AMCC) vs. Dimitri Pippos (MT) 7-5, 6-5, unfinished
1. Aurelien Tave/Peter Nagy (AMCC) def. Ben Davis/Christoph Lang (MT) 8-5
2. Alex Pavlov/Gergo Weidinger (AMCC) def. Marlon Brand/Yannick Born (MT) 9-7
3. Ettore Zito/Matthew Langley (MT) def. Fernando Llorens/Nathan Robinson (AMCC) 8-3
Middle Tennessee 4-4; National ranking #63
Texas A&M - Corpus Christi 5-6
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (2,1,3,5)
#63 Middle Tennessee 4, Western Michigan 0
1. Ben Davis (MT) def. Nadin Indre (WMU) 6-3, 6-4
2. Christoph Lang (MT) def. Simon Blomberg (WMU) 6-1, 6-3
3. Matthew Langley (MT) def. Pablo Olivarez (WMU) 6-2, 6-2
4. Ettore Zito (MT) vs. Zeyad Montasser (WMU) 6-7, 4-0, unfinished
5. Forrest Edwards (MT) vs. Ross VanderPloeg (WMU) 6-3, 3-2, unfinished
6. Dimitri Pippos (MT) def. Aaron Wong (WMU) 6-0, 6-3
Western Michigan 9-6
Middle Tennessee 5-4; National ranking #63
Follow the Blue Raiders on Twitter @MTAthletics for continued updates.
More Men's Tennis NewsApr 18, 2014: Raiders fall 4-1 to Rice in C-USA quarterfinals
Apr 17, 2014: Raiders clash with Rice to open C-USA Championship
Apr 14, 2014: MT earns first-round bye in C-USA Championship
Apr 13, 2014: MT downs No. 60 UCF, 4-3
Apr 11, 2014: MT defeated by No. 25 USF, 6-1
Apr 10, 2014: Raiders host USF, UCF to close out regular season