No. 71 Blue Raiders win thriller over No. 58 UTSA
Zito clinches match with singles victoryMarch 6, 2012 · Athletic Communications
“Matthew Langley and Ettore Zito had a big comeback win to clinch the doubles point, which turned out to be crucial in the match,” head coach Jimmy Borendame said. “Then Zito did it again in singles to clinch the match. Overall, I’m just really proud of the guys with the fire and fight and competitiveness they showed to help us get the W today.” Ben Davis and Christoph Lang got doubles action rolling with an 8-2 win in the No. 2 slot before Yannick Born and Marlon Brand partnered for a 9-7 defeat from the top spot. Zito and Langley claimed the final doubles match with a 9-8 showing, earning a 9-7 win in the tiebreaker after being down two match points.
The momentum carried into singles play for MT, as Langley claimed a straight-set win to give the Blue Raiders a 2-0 advantage. UTSA’s (5-7) Daniel Moser got the Roadrunners on the board with a 6-3, 6-3 win over Dimitri Pippos in the six-hole, but Christoph Lang’s 6-4, 6-4 win in the No. 2 spot put the Blue Raiders one point away from victory.
The Roadrunners picked up the win in the five-slot to make it a 3-2 contest, but Zito battled through a second-set tiebreaker, rallying from a 1-5 deficit in the second set to capture the 6-4, 7-6 (7-5) win and claim the match for MT.
The Blue Raiders return home Saturday, hosting their first match of the season at the Buck Bouldin Tennis Center. MT welcomes IUPUI for a 2 p.m. CT contest. Live stats are available for every home match via GoBlueRaiders.com.
#71 Middle Tennessee 4, #58 UTSA 3
1. Yannick Junger (UTSA) def. Ben Davis (MT) 6-3, 6-4
2. Christoph Lang (MT) def. Tyler Brown (UTSA) 6-4, 6-4
3. Matthew Langley (MT) def. Martin Ayala (UTSA) 6-2, 6-3
4. Ettore Zito (MT) def. Joel Rubio (UTSA) 6-3, 7-6 (7-5)
5. David Kelleher (UTSA) def. Forrest Edwards (MT) 6-3, 6-2
6. Daniel Moser (UTSA) def. Dimitri Pippos (MT) 6-3, 6-3
1. Yannick Junger/Pedro Zanotelli (UTSA) def. Yannick Born/Marlon Brand (MT) 9-7
2. Ben Davis/Christoph Lang (MT) def. Martin Ayala/Tyler Brown (UTSA) 8-2
3. Ettore Zito/Matthew Langley (MT) def. Joel Rubio/Kolby Kilgo (UTSA) 9-8 (9-7)
Middle Tennessee 6-5; National ranking #71
UTSA 5-7; National ranking #58
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (3,6,2,5,4,1) T-3:15 A-75
Follow the Blue Raiders on Twitter @MTAthletics for continued updates.
More Men's Tennis NewsJun 10, 2013: Men's Tennis draws Louisville for 2014 ITA Kick-Off Weekend
Jun 3, 2013: Men's Tennis No. 48 in final ITA rankings
May 31, 2013: Blue Raiders announce Tennis Camp dates
Apr 20, 2013: Blue Raiders drop heartbreaker in SBC Championships
Apr 19, 2013: No. 1 seed Blue Raiders clinch berth in championship
Apr 18, 2013: No. 1 seed Blue Raiders face No. 4 seed Louisiana in SBC semifinal bout