No. 71 Middle Tennessee dominates IUPUI
Blue Raiders pick up 7-0 win in outdoor home openerMarch 10, 2012 · Athletic Communications
“I was very proud of our all-around effort today,” head coach Jimmy Borendame said. “Our doubles teams played really well and that carried over into singles play, too. I thought Marlon (Brand) and Yannick (Born) did a great job battling it out for the final doubles victory.”
The duos of Matthew Langley/Ettore Zito and Ben Davis/Christoph Lang set the tone early, with impressive 8-2 and 8-3 showings, respectively, to clinch the doubles point for MT. In the top doubles spot, Brand and Born trailed 5-4, but rallied for back-to-back points to take a 6-5 lead before earning the 9-7 victory to complete the doubles sweep of the Jaguars (6-12).
The momentum continued into singles play, as Matthew Langley delivered the first blow with a 6-2, 6-0 performance. Born and Zito then picked up straight-set victories to clinch the match for the Blue Raiders.
Dimitri Pippos fought through a 6-3 defeat in the first set and bounced back with a 7-5 win in the second, then polished off the Jaguars with a 10-6 victory in the super tiebreaker for his third singles victory in the last four contests.
MT remains at home this week with a Thursday match against Belmont. The Blue Raiders and Bruins will square off at 2 p.m. CT at the Buck Bouldin Tennis Center. All home matches are free and open to the public.
#71 Middle Tennessee 7, IUPUI 0
1. Christoph Lang (MT) def. Nick Volz (IUPUI) 6-2, 6-3
2. Matthew Langley(MT) def. Chase Emerson (IUPUI) 6-2, 6-0
3. Ettore Zito (MT) def. Ivan Mojsejev (IUPUI) 6-1, 6-1
4. Dimitri Pippos (MT) def. Armaan Choudhary (IUPUI) 3-6, 7-5, 10-6
5. Yannick Born (MT) def. Deon Shafer (IUPUI) 6-2, 6-1
6. Forrest Edwards (MT) def. Joel Modesitt (IUPUI) 6-2, 6-1
1. Marlon Brand/Yannick Born (MT) def. Patrick O'Neill/Luke Bielawski (IUPUI) 9-7
2. Ben Davis/Christoph Lang (MT) def. Nick Volz/Joel Modesitt (IUPUI) 8-3
3. Ettore Zito/Matthew Langley (MT) def. Deon Shafer/Louis Sacks (IUPUI) 8-2
Middle Tennessee 7-5; National ranking #71
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (2,5,3,6,1,4)
Follow the Blue Raiders on Twitter @MTAthletics for continued updates.
More Men's Tennis NewsMar 9, 2014: Raiders drop Murray State, fall to Memphis
Mar 9, 2014: Raiders host Memphis & Murray State
Mar 7, 2014: MT Men's Tennis downs Jackson State, 7-0
Mar 2, 2014: MT Men's Tennis downed by No. 20 Columbia
Feb 28, 2014: Men's Tennis falls to Cornell, 4-3
Feb 28, 2014: Men's Tennis travels to New York for two matches