No. 56 Blue Raiders take down Southern Miss
MT has won five straight matchesApril 6, 2012 · Athletic Communications
“I’m extremely proud of the poise our team showed today in a tough environment,” head coach Jimmy Borendame said. “I was particularly impressed with our doubles play. Each tandem has improved continuously throughout the season and their chemistry is really paying off.”
The five-match streak is the longest regular-season streak since the 2009 season when MT (13-6) won six in a row before heading into postseason play where the Blue Raiders won three more for a nine-match winning streak.
Ettore Zito and Matthew Langley got doubles action rolling with an 8-2 victory, then Christoph Lang and Ben Davis clinched the point, also tallying an 8-2 win. Marlon Brand and Yannick Born completed the sweep with an 8-7 triumph, taking the tiebreaker, 7-3.
Davis made quick work of Matt Frost in the top slot with a 6-1, 6-0 win and Ettore Zito made it a 3-0 MT lead with a 6-1, 6-1 win in the No. 4 spot. Matthew Langley’s 6-1, 6-4 tally clinched the victory. MT was had claimed the first set in two of the final three matches, but Borendame elected to stop the matches following the clinching point due to the Blue Raiders’ travel schedule.
The Blue Raiders continue road action at Tulane on Saturday. The match will start at 1 p.m.
#56 Middle Tennessee 4, Southern Miss 3
1. Ben Davis (MT) def. Matt Frost (USMM) 6-1, 6-0
2. Matthew Langley (MT) def. Paulo Alvarado (USMM) 6-1, 6-4
3. Inaki Belloso (USMM) def. Christoph Lang (MT) 3-6, 3-4, retired
4. Ettore Zito (MT) def. Juan Escobar (USMM) 6-1, 6-1
5. Andrew Goodwin (USMM) def. Forrest Edwards (MT) 6-2, 3-3, retired
6. Alex Doleac (USMM) def. Dimitri Pippos (MT) 7-5, 2-3, retired
1. Marlon Brand/Yannick Born (MT) def. Matt Frost/Andrew Goodwin (USMM) 8-7 (7-3)
2. Christoph Lang/Ben Davis (MT) def. Juan Escobar/Inaki Belloso (USMM) 8-2
3. Ettore Zito/Matthew Langley (MT) def. Paulo Alvarado/Michael Elortegui (USMM) 8-2
Middle Tennessee 13-6; National ranking #56
Southern Miss 9-13
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (1,4,2)
Follow the Blue Raiders on Twitter @MTAthletics for continued updates.
More Men's Tennis NewsApr 20, 2013: Blue Raiders drop heartbreaker in SBC Championships
Apr 19, 2013: No. 1 seed Blue Raiders clinch berth in championship
Apr 18, 2013: No. 1 seed Blue Raiders face No. 4 seed Louisiana in SBC semifinal bout
Apr 17, 2013: Five Blue Raiders earn All-Sun Belt awards
Apr 16, 2013: Men's Tennis looks for three-peat at Sun Belt Championships
Apr 15, 2013: Zito named Athlete of the Week