Davis wins eighth in a row, No. 56 Blue Raiders fall to No. 72 USF
MT will conclude regular season on SaturdayApril 13, 2012 · Athletic Communications
“We will take this as a great learning opportunity for our freshman,” head coach Jimmy Borendame said. “It will only make us stronger against UCF and at the Sun Belt Championships next week.”
Ettore Zit and Matthew Langley earned an 8-5 victory to start doubles play, then Yannick Born and Marlon Brand clinched the doubles point with an 8-5 victory. Davis and Lang’s 7-1 tiebreaker gave them a 9-8 win and completed the sweep.
Davis’ win made it a 2-0 lead for the Blue Raiders, but the Bulls reeled off five straight singles points to win the match. Ettore Zito and Forrest Edwards each took their matches to three sets after winning the first, but were unable to come away with the win.
The Blue Raiders will take on UCF in the season final on Saturday. The match will begin at 10 a.m. CT.
#72 USF 5, #56 Middle Tennessee 2
1. Ben Davis (MT) def. Wael Kilani (USF) 6-2, 6-2
2. Yannick Yoshizawa (USF) def. Matthew Langley (MT) 6-2, 6-4
3. Federico Sabogal (USF) def. Christoph Lang (MT) 6-4, 6-4
4. Juan Carlos Gerard (USF) def. Ettore Zito (MT) 2-6, 6-4, 6-3
5. Oliver Pramming (USF) def. Forrest Edwards (MT) 3-6, 6-4, 7-6 (7-3)
6. Sebastian Hagn (USF) def. Dimitri Pippos (MT) 7-6, 6-2
1. Yannick Born/Marlon Brand (MT) def. Yannick Yoshizawa/Oliver Pramming (USF) 8-5
2. Ben Davis/Christoph Lang (MT) def. Wael Kilani/Federico Sabogal (USF) 9-8 (7-1)
3. Ettore Zito/Matthew Langley (MT) def. Sebastian Hagn/Guillermo De Vilchez (USF) 8-5
Middle Tennessee 15-7; National ranking #56
USF 9-12; National ranking #72
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (1,6,2,3,4,5)
Follow the Blue Raiders on Twitter @MTAthletics for continued updates.
More Men's Tennis NewsMar 9, 2014: Raiders drop Murray State, fall to Memphis
Mar 9, 2014: Raiders host Memphis & Murray State
Mar 7, 2014: MT Men's Tennis downs Jackson State, 7-0
Mar 2, 2014: MT Men's Tennis downed by No. 20 Columbia
Feb 28, 2014: Men's Tennis falls to Cornell, 4-3
Feb 28, 2014: Men's Tennis travels to New York for two matches