No. 56 men's tennis ends the regular season with win over UCF
Blue Raiders' 16 wins are most since 2009April 14, 2012 · Athletic Communications
MT finishes the regular season with a 16-7 record, the most wins since the Blue Raiders went 16-10 in 2009.
“I was impressed with the way Ettore Zito and Matthew Langley bounced back from tough matches yesterday to pick up wins today,” head coach Jimmy Borendame said. “I’m also proud of the performances from our doubles teams. They have been playing their best of the season and are really hitting their stride at the right time heading into the conference championships next week.”
Zito made it a 2-0 MT lead with his 6-0, 6-2 win in the four-slot, and Christoph Lang’s 6-4, 7-5 triumph put the Blue Raiders within a point of claiming the match. But the Knights (9-12) battled back with back-to-back singles victories in the four and five slots to make it a 3-2 contest.
Those would be the only two points for UCF, however, as Langley clinched the match with a 6-4, 7-6 win and Davis’ win accounted for the final score.
The Blue Raiders head to the Sun Belt Championships next week. The tournament will take place April 19-22 in Denton, Texas. Seeding for the tournament is based on ITA ranking and will be announced on Tuesday.
#56 Middle Tennessee 5, UCF 2
1. Ben Davis (MT) def. Jorge Blasco (UCF) 6-3, 6-7, 10-4
2. Matthew Langley (MT) def. Erik Brunskog (UCF) 6-4, 7-6
3. Christoph Lang (MT) def. Mitch Thams (UCF) 6-4, 7-5
4. Ettore Zito (MT) def. Juan Bolona (UCF) 6-0, 6-2
5. Mario Samson (UCF) def. Edwards, Forrest (MT) 6-4, 6-2
6. Joe Delinks (UCF) def. Born, Yannick (MT) 0-6, 7-6, 6-2
1. Marlon Brand/Yannick Born (MT) def. Joe Delinks/Mitch Thams (UCF) 8-1
2. Mario Samson/Jorge Blasco (UCF) def. Ben Davis/Christoph Lang (MT) 8-5
3. Matthew Langley/Ettore Zito (MT) def. Juan Bolona/Erik Brunskog (UCF) 8-2
Middle Tennessee 16-7; National ranking #56
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (4,3,6,5,2,1)
Friend of the Blue Raiders? Like us on Facebook and become part of the True Blue army today.
More Men's Tennis NewsApr 18, 2014: Raiders fall 4-1 to Rice in C-USA quarterfinals
Apr 17, 2014: Raiders clash with Rice to open C-USA Championship
Apr 14, 2014: MT earns first-round bye in C-USA Championship
Apr 13, 2014: MT downs No. 60 UCF, 4-3
Apr 11, 2014: MT defeated by No. 25 USF, 6-1
Apr 10, 2014: Raiders host USF, UCF to close out regular season