Treys abound in Blue Raiders' win over Auburn-Montgomery
Gallman hits seven treys for 21 pointsNovember 5, 2012 · @MTAthletics
MURFREESBORO, Tenn. - The Middle Tennessee men's basketball team opened its exhibition game on a 19-4 run Monday night and never looked back, defeating the Auburn-Montgomery Warhawks, 107-65, at Murphy Center. The Blue Raiders made 17 3-pointers in the game, marking what would be a school record for a regular season contest.
Senior guard James Gallman led five Blue Raiders in double-figure scoring with 21 points, making 7-of-9 three-pointers. Senior guard Raymond Cintron added four three-pointers and 14 points. Senior guard Bruce Massey, junior forward Neiko Hunter and junior guard Kerry Hammonds each scored 10 points. Hammonds and junior guard Trantell Knight each had a game-high seven assists.
The Blue Raiders open the regular season on Friday. MT will host Alabama State following at 7:45 p.m. in Murphy Center following the women's game.
FIRST HALF RECAP
• AUM was 2-for-11 from the field with seven turnovers in the first nine minutes
• MT opened game with seven different players scoring - Gallman, junior forward Shawn Jones, Massey, senior guard Marcos Knight, Cintron, Walker, Hammonds. 10 different Blue Raiders scored in the first half
• AUM was within three, 7-4, with 15:47 to play first half when Massey layup and Cintron three-pointer sparked 15-1 run for the Blue Raiders over next 4:31 to take 22-5 lead
• Alley-oop dunk Massey to Shawn Jones at 8:58 mark
• Trantell Knight, Hammonds and Gallman made three straight triples late in first half to put Blue Raiders up by 24, 45-21
• MT assisted on 18 of 19 made baskets in the first half; Hammonds had five assists in first half
• AUM had 10 made field goals, 12 turnovers in first half
SECOND HALF RECAP
• Cintron scored first eight points of second half and gave MT a 64-32 lead with 17:45 remaining; Started the game 5-for-6 from the field with four 3-pointers
• 12:52 Gallman makes back-to-back treys to cap 12-2 run, puts MT ahead 80-44
• 10:10 Gallman makes fourth three of the half, puts Blue Raiders ahead 91-48
• Blue Raiders made seven out of 10 3-pointers to start second half
• Reached 100 points on Massey 3-pointer with 5:08 to go
• Gallman's seventh three-pointer ties MT single-game regular season record of 15 treys
• 2:38 - Thunderous dunk by Jacquez Rozier
HEAD COACH KERMIT DAVIS
I thought our team, as we have done all fall, played unselfishly. We really only took one bad shot the whole game. Thirty-two assists on 37 baskets made is terrific. Six, and almost eight guys, were in double figures, so that was positive. We need to become a lot better rebounding team. At times, we were just kind of bigger and played over the top of them, but when we get some more athletic teams coming in here, like Friday night, that's an area we can really improve in.
On shooting 3-pointers...
They were in a zone most of the time, so I guess that was good practice for us. There were a lot of three's, but they were good three's, they were extra-pass three's, really unselfish three's. We've got a good collection of shooters. Sometimes we are pretty hard to guard in man-to-man, so maybe we'll see some more zone. That was good that we got a chance to work against them. When you play unselfishly, a lot more three's seem to go in.
On new guys...
Neiko Hunter looked a little nervous in the first half. What Neiko does, even when he gets tired, he rebounds. He has been our leading rebounder in two of the times we've played. I thought Tweety (Trantell Knight) had a really good floor game in the first half. He had a couple of little turnovers at the end of the game, but seven assists and four rebounds, I thought he had a solid floor game.
JAMES GALLMAN AND RAYMOND CINTRON QUOTES
Gallman on MT's hot shooting from the field...
"It was a good start for us, and for me too. They were playing zone and there were wide open shots. I just took them and got on a roll then just kept on shooting."
Cintron on matching Gallman three for three...
"I just try to help my team win. It looked like we were competing against each other, but that's what we do. We just got to keep it rolling out there. We were feeling it, so we just kept shooting. Taking good shots, of course."
Cintron on the 11 returners on the 2012-13 team...
"It helps us a lot. We don't have to wait on guys. It takes time, when you have new guys, to get them adjusted to the system. It makes it a lot easier with the guys coming back to run the offense, and know each other and what they like to do best."
Gallman on what Coach Davis said in the locker room after the game...
"We had some positives, some bad things like rebounding. We've got to rebound the ball better. We're going to play more athletic players, so we have to box out and get on the boards better."
Gallman on the depth of the team...
"We're competing. Like coach said, we're competing to get our minutes. We're just working hard and practicing hard. We're just getting ourselves better. I'm making Ray better and he's making me better. Marcos, Tweety, Kerry, we're all getting better every day."
Follow the Blue Raiders on Twitter @MTAthletics for continued updates.
More Men's Basketball NewsJul 13, 2014: Jones off to good start in NBA Summer League
May 21, 2014: Richmond commits to MT men's hoops
May 6, 2014: Raiders add Hamilton to coaching staff
Apr 24, 2014: Davis to speak at Journeys fundraiser
Apr 20, 2014: Jones named to the PIT All-Tournament Team
Apr 17, 2014: Emerald Coast Classic announces 2014 field