Middle Tennessee falls to No. 50 Penn State
Moraes and Nagayama pick up wins in singles actionJanuary 19, 2013 · @MTAthletics
AKRON, Ohio - Middle Tennessee dropped a 5-2 decision to No. 50 Penn State in a neutral court matchup on Saturday morning.
Penn State (1-0) won three straight points until the Blue Raiders (0-2) picked up a decision in singles action. From there, the Nittany Lions won two more points to secure their season-opening victory.
MT fell in all three doubles competitions. The number one tandem of Petra Januskova and Chelsea Utting knocked of the Raiders' Carla Nava and Yuiri Nomoto, 8-1. In the third doubles slot, Carmen Sandor/Sarah Henderson collected an 8-2 victory over Flavia Nagayama and Alexandra Torres. The No. 2 duo of Katherine Whiteaway and Jacqueline Zuhse won 8-6 over Nayara Moraes and Irinia Constantinide.
In singles action, Henderson defeated Torres, 6-1, 6-0, to help PSU to a two point lead. Utting followed with a 6-2, 6-1 win over the freshman Constantinide to put the Lions up by three.
Moraes helped the Blue Raiders narrow their deficit with a win over Sandor (6-2, 6-2). The senior from Brazil improved to 2-0 in dual matches this season.
However, PSU clinched the match with a win from No. 27 Januskova over Nomoto (6-2, 6-3) in the top singles match. Devan McCluskey won over Nava, 6-2, 6-3 in the No. 4 slot. Middle Tennessee salvaged their second point with a 6-2, 6-2 win from Nagayama.
"Today didn't go our way, but it is a match that will help us grow and improve," noted head coach Shelley Godwin. "Penn State jumped on us early and while we fought back, we weren't able to dig out of the hole."
The Blue Raiders remain on the road with a visit to Lipscomb on Friday, Jan. 25. First serve is slated for 7 p.m.
#50 Penn State 5, Middle Tennessee 2
1. #27 Januskova, Petra (PSU) def. Nomoto, Yuiri (MT) 6-2, 6-3
2. Utting, Chelsea (PSU) def. Constantinide, Irina (MT) 6-2, 6-1
3. Nagayama, Flavia (MT) def. Sandor, Carmen (PSU) 6-2, 6-2
4. McCluskey, Devan (PSU) def. Nava, Carla (MT) 6-2, 6-3
5. Moraes, Nayara (MT) def. Whiteaway, Katherine (PSU) 6-1, 6-4
6. Henderson, Sarah (PSU) def. Torres, Alexandra (MT) 6-1, 6-0
1. Januskova, Petra/Utting, Chelsea (PSU) def. Nava, Carla/Nomoto, Yuiri (MT) 8-1
2. Whiteaway, Katherine/Zuhse, Jacqueline (PSU) def. Moraes, Nayara/Constantinide, Irina (MT) 8-6
3. Sandor, Carmen/Henderson, Sarah (PSU) def. Nagayama, Flavia/Torres, Alexandra (MT) 8-2
Penn State 1-0; National ranking #50
Middle Tennessee 0-2
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (6,2,5,1,4,3)
Follow the Blue Raiders on Twitter @MTAthletics for continued updates.
More Women's Tennis NewsNov 2, 2013: Raiders pick up four wins in final day at Alabama
Nov 1, 2013: Constantinide claims pair of singles wins at Roberta Alison
Oct 31, 2013: Raiders close fall campaign at Roberta Alison Classic
Oct 28, 2013: Ground broken on new indoor tennis facility
Oct 21, 2013: Moraes finishes runner-up in backdraw at ITA Regionals
Oct 20, 2013: Moraes advances to backdraw semifinals at ITA Regional