Men's Tennis sweeps duals Sunday
Lipscomb, Murray State fall to Blue RaidersJanuary 20, 2013 · Athletic Communications
NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Middle Tennessee started its spring season off with a bang, defeating Lipscomb 7-0 and Murray State 6-1 in matches on Sunday. The duals, held at Nashboro Village, were the first team competitions of the new year for No. 46 ranked MT (2-0).
"This was a great way for us to start the season," Borendame said. "Our returners played well, and the rookies were impressive."
Against Lipscomb (0-2), MT's Ben Davis, currently ranked No. 101, won both matches of his spring debut, defeating Oliver Strecker 6-2, 6-2 in No. 1 singles and teaming with newcomer David Fox in No. 3 doubles to defeat David Hernandez and Tougher, 8-5. Fox won his singles match over John Tougher 6-3, 6-4.
Christoph Lang, who earned All-Sun Belt honors last season, cruised through his singles match against David Salazar, winning 6-2, 6-4. Lang and Marlon Brand were partners in No. 1 doubles, but left their match unfinished against Strecker and Salazar.
Yannick Born and Victor Cornea won their doubles event against Stuart Tierney and Miguel Cortez, 8-5, completing a perfect day for the pair. Born defeated Tierney 6-4, 6-1 and Cornea topped Hernandez, 6-4, 6-2.
Ettore Zito, who performed well during the fall at the ITA All-American Championships in Tulsa, Okla., put Cortez away after reaching a tie-breaker in the first set. Zito won the first frame 7-6 (7-0) and the second, 6-1.
Davis and Fox teamed up again against Murray State (0-2), knocking down the team of Max McLean and Alexs Mitric, 8-0. The second doubles match of the dual to finish was the No. 2 pair of Cornea/Born, who defeated Tyler Jeffers and Nicholas Mitric, 8-2.
Lang and Brand won their final doubles match of the day, 8-1 over Adam Kennedy and Ryan Taylor.
In the singles portion of the Murray State dual, MT's Zito cruised through both sets to defeat Joao Camara 6-1, 6-0.
Fox and Lang picked up their second singles victory of the day with Fox winning 6-2, 6-2 against McLean, and Lang defeating Jeffers 6-4, 6-1.
Murray State's lone victory came from Kennedy, who defeated MT's Pedro Gonzalez 6-2, 6-2.
The two final wins for MT came in close matches, where Born defeated Taylor 6-2, 7-6 (7-5 in tie breaker) and Brand escaped with a three-set victory: 6-0, 2-6, 10-7.
MT competes again next weekend at the ITA Kickoff Weekend event in Durham, N.C. They will face No. 5 Duke at 10 a.m. on Jan. 25.
"I'm excited for us to compete next weekend," Borendame said. "Today was a good start, and we'll work hard to prepare throughout the week."
#46 Middle Tennessee 7, Lipscomb 0
1. #101 Davis, Ben (MT) def. Strecker, Oliver (LU) 6-2, 6-2
2. Lang, Christoph (MT) def. Salazar, David (LU) 6-2, 6-4
3. Cornea, Victor (MT) def. Hernandez, Daniel (LU) 6-4, 6-2
4. Born, Yannick (MT) def. Tierney, Stuart (LU) 6-4, 6-1
5. Zito, Ettore (MT) def. Cortez, Miguel (LU) 7-6 (7-0), 6-1
6. Fox, David (MT) def. Tougher, John (LU) 6-3, 6-4
1. Brand, Marlon/Lang, Christoph (MT) vs. Strecker, Oliver/Salazar, David (LU) unfinished
2. Cornea, Victor/Born, Yannick (MT) def. Tierney, Stuart/Cortez, Miguel (LU) 8-5
3. Davis, Ben/Fox, David (MT) def. Hernandez, Daniel/Tougher, John (LU) 8-5
#46 Middle Tennessee 6, Murray State 1
1. Lang, Christoph (MT) def. Jeffers, Tyler (MUR) 6-4, 6-1
2. Born, Yannick (MT) def. Taylor, Adam (MUR) 6-2, 7-6 (7-5)
3. Zito, Ettore (MT) def. Camara, Joao (MUR) 6-1, 6-0
4. Fox, David (MT) def. McLean, Max (MUR) 6-2, 6-2
5. Kennedy, Ryan (MUR) def. Gonzalez,Pedro (MT) 6-2, 6-2
6. Brand, Marlon (MT) def. Mitric, Nicholas (MUR) 6-0, 2-6, 10-7
1. Brand, Marlon/Lang, Christoph (MT) def. Taylor, Adam/Kennedy, Ryan (MUR) 8-1
2. Cornea, Victor/Born, Yannick (MT) vs. Jeffers, Tyler/Mitric, Nicholas (MUR) unfinished
3. Fox, David/Davis, Ben (MT) def. McLean, Max/Mitric, Alexs (MUR) 8-0
Friend of the Blue Raiders? Like us on Facebook and become part of the True Blue army today.
More Men's Tennis NewsDec 3, 2013: Blue Raiders add Hoang for spring 2014 season
Nov 3, 2013: Blue Raiders wrap up play at Louisville Invitational
Nov 2, 2013: Raiders continue play at Louisville Invitational
Nov 1, 2013: Blue Raiders take part in first day of Louisville Invitational
Oct 28, 2013: Ground broken on new indoor tennis facility
Oct 25, 2013: Tennis teams to host free clinic Saturday for Murfreesboro kids