Middle Tennessee takes 10-game win streak to FAU
Blue Raiders and Owls tip off at 2 p.m. CTFebruary 1, 2013 · @MTAthletics
Middle Tennessee closes out a road swing in the Sunshine State at Florida Atlantic on Saturday, Feb. 2. Tipoff for the split doubleheader is set at 2 p.m. CT at FAU Arena in Boca Raton, Fla.
Matchup: Middle Tennessee (16-5, 11-1 Sun Belt) at Florida Atlantic (10-10, 7-5 SBC)
Date: Saturday, Feb. 2, 2013
Time: 2:00 p.m. CT
Location: Boca Raton, Fla.
Arena: FAU Arena (5,000)
Overall: MT leads series, 13-1
Under Rick Insell: 12-1
In Boca Raton: MT leads series, 5-1
Last Meeting: MT 73 - FAU 59 - Jan. 9, 2013
• Middle Tennessee (16-5, 11-1 Sun Belt) brings its' 10 game win streak to Boca Raton on Saturday. Earlier this season, MT knocked off the Owls, 73-59, at the Murphy Center.
• The Raiders avenged their only conference loss this season and remain atop the SBC East with a 61-51 victory at FIU. Ebony Rowe paced MT with 23 points, while Icelyn Elie added 12 and Kortni Jones 10.
• MT's 10-game win streak is tied for fifth nationally with Florida Gulf Coast. The Raiders have won 13 consecutive road games dating back to last year's perfect record on the road in SBC play.
• Rowe reached her 29th game scoring double digits on Thursday. Her streak ranks sixth in the NCAA.
• The junior forward has reached 20 or more points in 13 games this season. Middle Tennessee is an impressive 28-3 when Rowe scores 20-plus during her three year career.
• There are four Top 20 NCAA categories in which Rowe ranks. She is 10th in double-doubles (13), 11th in points (21.3), 15th in field goal percentage (55.6) and 19th in rebounds (11.1).
• Ebony Rowe leads the Raiders with 21.3 points and 11.1 rebounds per game. Icelyn Elie (14.3) and Kortni Jones (13.9) are also averaging double-figures in 21 contests this season.
Scouting Florida Atlantic
• Since opening up to their best start in Sun Belt history with five straight wins, Florida Atlantic (10-10, 7-5 SBC) has dropped five out of their last seven games. FAU has lost three in a row with defeats at UALR, Arkansas State and most recently a 90-86 defeat to ULM.
• The Owls are averaging 71.5 points, which is second in the league. FAU is shooting 39.6 percent (536-of-1355) from the field, while opponents are knocking down 44 percent (519-of-1176). Florida Atlantic leads the SBC with 11.9 steals per game, but are last in rebound margin (-8.0). FAU has won only one game when scoring less than 70 points.
• Chenise Miller leads the Owls with 13.9 points and 7.8 rebounds in 20 games. Breana Turner is tallying 12.5 points and 4.9 boards in 19 contests, while Takia Brooks is posting double-figures with 10.5 points and a team-best 48 steals. Kimberly Smith and Latavia Dempsey are each averaging 9.2 points per game for FAU.
Series with the Owls
• Middle Tennessee and Florida Atlantic meet for the 15th time in program history. MT has a commanding 13-1 lead in the series with its' only blemish coming in a 73-70 defeat in Boca Raton on Feb. 21, 2009. Rick Insell holds a 12-1 mark over FAU during his tenure.
• MT has won seven games in a row in the series.
• The Blue Raiders picked up a 73-59 decision over FAU on Jan. 9. MT went on a 15-0 run to distance themselves. Ebony Rowe recorded her 42nd double-double with 22 points and and 15 rebounds. Three others picked up double-figures: Icelyn Elie (18), Shanice Cason (14) and Kortni Jones (11).
In Sun Belt Play
• Coach Rick Insell has a remarkable 117-13 against Sun Belt competition in the regular season. His win total ranks fifth in SBC history and his winning percentage (.900) is second all-time behind Louisiana Tech's Leon Barmore.
• During the past two seasons, MT has won 27 out of its' last 28 regular season SBC games.
Experience Pays Off
• Middle Tennessee's Icelyn Elie, Kortni Jones and Ebony Rowe have all reached double-figures in seven out of the last 10 games, including five straight games.
• Rowe has shot 60 percent or more from the field in five of the last six games. Meanwhile, Kortni Jones has four or more assists in eight of the last 10 contests. On the boards, Icelyn Elie has registered five or more rebounds in 10 consecutive games.
• The tandem has put together 3,783 points in 9,076 minutes of action in a combined 304 games played.
• MT's 10-game win streak is currently tied for the fifth longest streak nationally with Florida Gulf Coast.
• The Blue Raiders have increased the margin of victory recently with six out of its last seven wins in double-figure margins. MT has averaged a +14.7 during that span.
• During the Raiders' 10-long nine game win streak, MT has tallied a 41.8 field goal percentage or higher in seven of 10 contests.
• Ebony Rowe has averaged 23.1 points, 11.3 rebounds and shot 63 percent during the streak. Meanwhile, Kortni Jones is posting 15.7 and Icelyn Elie each have added 15.1 ppg.
• The Blue Raiders set a new school record with 13 consecutive conference road wins dating back to last season. MT went unblemished in league play last year and have been unharmed on the road in six SBC road games this season.
• The previous conference road win streak of 10 started on Jan. 20, 2010 at ULM and ended with a loss to FIU on Jan. 29, 2011.
• There are three MT players that have notched 1,000 points during their respective careers.
• Ebony Rowe reached 1,000 last season and currently is 10th with 1,517 points.
• Oak Ridge's Kortni Jones hit 1,000 points with her 21 against North Texas (Dec. 27) and ranks 22nd with 1,142 points.
• Icelyn Elie became the 28th addition by reaching the 1,000 plateau at Arkansas State on Jan. 2. She has reached 1,124 in her career.
• The 2009-10 roster featured seven eventual 1,000-point scorers: Brandi Brown, Alysha Clark, Icelyn Elie, Kortni Jones, Anne Marie Lanning, Chelsia Lymon and Jackie Pickel.
• Since his arrival in 2005, Coach Insell has coached at least one season for 12 of the 28 1,000-point club members.
Scouring the Sun Belt
• Middle Tennessee leads the league with a +10.3 scoring margin and is second with a +3.67 turnover margin through 21 games. Junior Ebony Rowe leads the SBC with 5.4 offensive rebounds per game. Rowe is second in points (21.3), rebounds (11.1) and minutes played (39.0). Guard Kortni Jones leads the SBC with 4.6 assists and is second with 2.3 triples made per game. Shanice Cason is third in the league with 2.71 steals each contest.
National Statistical Rankings
• The Raiders are in the top 100 in eight statistical categories as released by the NCAA on Feb 1. MT is 48th in turnover margin (+3.67), 51st in scoring margin (+10.3), 72nd in scoring defense (56.9), 75th in field goal percentage (41.3), 81st in steals per game (10.2), 85th in scoring offense (67.1), 99th in free throw percentage (70.8) and 100th in rebounding margin (+3.0).
• MT has three players in the top 100. Ebony Rowe ranks 11th with 21.3 points per game, 19th with 11.1 rebounds a contest and tied for 10th with 13 double-doubles. Rowe is 15th in field goal percentage (55.6), while Icelyn Elie is listed 55th (48.8). Kortni Jones ranks 63rd with 4.6 assists per game. Shanice Cason ranks 73rd with 2.71 steals per game.
Wednesday evening's contest against Arkansas State is Faculty & Staff Night. All MT employees can get a discounted ticket with an ID. Sunday, Feb. 10 will be Play4Kay day. The Blue Raiders are expected to don pink jerseys. The three senior jerseys will be auctioned off after the game. Middle Tennessee Medical Center will be taking donations for breast cancer awareness.
Friend of the Blue Raiders? Like us on Facebook and become part of the True Blue army today.
More Women's Basketball NewsJul 11, 2014: Shalon Pillow joins Blue Raider coaching staff
Jun 30, 2014: Rowe Named C-USA's Female Athlete of the Year
Jun 30, 2014: Assistant Coach Mariska Harris resigns from post
Jun 27, 2014: Brinkley named recipient of NCAA Career in Sports Scholarship
Jun 17, 2014: Leonard earns Jim Castañeda Postgraduate Scholarship
Jun 12, 2014: Reuter earns MVP honors at Tennessee-Georgia All-Star game