MT returns to win column with victory over UAB
Nava picks up match-clinching point for RaidersFebruary 10, 2013 · @MTAthletics
NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Middle Tennessee women's tennis returned to the win column by edging the UAB Blazers, 4-3, on Sunday afternoon inside Nashboro Village.
The Blue Raiders (2-4) jumped out to a 3-0 lead before UAB picked up two consecutive points. MT handed UAB (4-1) its first loss this season thanks to a match-clinching singles point from redshirt senior Carla Nava.
For the first time this season, the Blazers lost the doubles point. However, UAB started the match with an 8-3 victory in the three spot from Elaine Simon and Isabel Fernandez over Alexandra Torres and Flavia Nagayama. The duo of Irina Constantinide and Nayara Moraes knocked off Amy Lowther/Sarah Witkowski, 8-3, to even the doubles match at 1-1.
Middle Tennessee's Nava and Yuiri Nomoto won the doubles point at the No. 1 spot, edging Menanteau Moolman and Rachel Daniell, 8-5.
In No. 3 singles, Nagayama gave the Raiders a two-point edge with her win (6-1, 6-1) over Moolman. Moraes clinched the third point in the match with a 6-1, 6-0 straight set win over Simon.
UAB captured its first point when Constantinide defaulted to Rachel Daniell at the second spot. The Blazers used that momentum to snatch their second point when Fernandez knocked off Nomoto (6-2, 6-3).
The senior Nava won her second match point of the day with a 6-2, 6-2 sweep of Simon, clinching the match for the Blue Raiders. The third UAB was a 6-2, 6-3 Witkowski victory over Torres in the No. 6 spot.
Middle Tennessee opens a three match road swing with a visit to Butler on Friday, Feb. 15.
Middle Tennessee 4, UAB 3
1. Isabel Fernandez (UAB) def. Nomoto, Yuiri (MT) 6-2, 6-3
2. Rachel Daniell (UAB) def. Constantinide, Irina (MT), by default
3. Nagayama, Flavia (MT) def. Menanteau Moolman (UAB) 6-1, 6-1
4. Moraes, Nayara (MT) def. Amy Lowther (UAB) 6-1, 6-0
5. Nava, Carla (MT) def. Elaine Simon (UAB) 6-1, 6-2
6. Sarah Witkowski (UAB) def. Torres, Alexandra (MT) 6-2, 6-3
1. Nomoto, Yuiri/Nava, Carla (MT) def. Menanteau Moolman/Rachel Daniell (UAB) 8-5
2. Constantinide, Irina/Moraes, Nayara (MT) def. Amy Lowther/Sarah Witkowski (UAB) 8-3
3. Elaine Simon/Isabel Fernandez (UAB) def. Torres, Alexandra/Nagayama, Flavia (MT) 8-3
Match Notes:UAB 4-1
Middle Tennessee 2-4
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (3,4,2,1,5,6)
Friend of the Blue Raiders? Like us on Facebook and become part of the True Blue army today.
More Women's Tennis NewsMar 10, 2014: Women's Tennis drops 4-3 heartbreaker to BU
Mar 9, 2014: MT visits South Florida for three matches
Mar 7, 2014: Women's Tennis shuts down Jackson State for sixth win
Mar 6, 2014: Raiders welcome Jackson State on Friday
Mar 1, 2014: Blue Raiders fall to Louisiana Tech, 5-2
Feb 28, 2014: Women's Tennis shuts down TSU, 7-0